What products should I use?

jazlynscurlsjazlynscurls Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I have 3a/3b, low porosity, medium density, fine strands. My hair is very dry and occasionally frizzy!! I have no idea about what products I should be using. I tried aloe vera as a gel, MADE MY HAIR FRIZZY. My hair looks limp and greasy if I use any oils like that wild growth oil immediately after a warm shower. What INEXPENSIVE products do you guys recommend for shampoo, conditioner, styling products? What to avoid? I'm just so confused, I've been researching products but I don't know where to start.

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Read this blog post:. http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

Actually read the whole blog, especially about clarifying and proteins, and film forming humectants.

Get a clarifying shampoo, here are some examples
    https://shop.naturallycurly.com/shampoos/clarifying-shampoos/ .   These are just examples, there are lots more in the stores.  

Science-yhairblog hair blog, should be a good guide to help you find ingredients that work for your hair
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Aloe isn't a gel, it's a curl enhancer. You can use it under a gel. If you're in the US, look for LA Looks Sports Gel at the drug store or grocery store. It's a hard hold gel that's super cheap.

It's not just products, though, it's also technique. How you apply product makes a huge difference.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have 3a/3b, low porosity, medium density, fine strands. My hair is very dry and occasionally frizzy!! I have no idea about what products I should be using. I tried aloe vera as a gel, MADE MY HAIR FRIZZY. My hair looks limp and greasy if I use any oils like that wild growth oil immediately after a warm shower. What INEXPENSIVE products do you guys recommend for shampoo, conditioner, styling products? What to avoid? I'm just so confused, I've been researching products but I don't know where to start.
    Hi @jazlynscurls

Welcome to nc.com. It can be challenging at first to figure out what your hair needs, but with some research and a bit of trial and error, you can probably figure it out. Here are a few thought I had.

I would first start by clarifying and following with a deep treatment. To clarify, you can clarify with a sulfate - VO5 Normal Shampoo is an inexpensive option. Ideally pick up a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo that contains C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. This is a degreaser that removes silicones and other types of buildup, like cationic conditioners (BTMS, BTC, etc). Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular sulfate-free clarifier. Clarifying is pretty serious business, and ideally you should follow this with a moisturizing deep treatment. Camille Rose Naturals Algae Treatment and As I Am Hydration Elation are a couple that would work. You can also use your regular conditioner if you have one you like that is free of avoid ingredients (avoid silicones, petroleum products, drying alcohols - fatty alcohols are ok). Just apply generously, put on a shower cap, and leave on for 20-30 minutes, ideally under heat (a wash cloth warmed with hot water will do). Do this, then set these aside to do maybe 1x/month. All of the above products are available at Target. Some of these products are a little spendy, but you will last you a long time. 

After that, you will need to decide if you want to just cowash or use a low-poo (non-sulfate non-clarifying shampoo) following with a rinseout conditioner. That article on the Sciency Hair Blog about Moisturizing Low Porosity hair that WavyK linked is a really good one for ideas. Of the products she lists, I have personally successfully used Giovanni Magnetic and Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Shampoos/Conditioners. I don't know of a cheap (around $1) low-poo, but some very inexpensive CG-Friendly conditioners are VO5 Herbal Escapes and Suave Essentials Conditioners. The Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut has silk protein which is a film forming humectant. The VO5 Pomegranate Conditioner is also a good choice for fine low porosity hair. If you wanted to spend a little more, it might be worth trying the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Style Milk. Once upon a time, my hair really liked these. They also have silk protein in them. Some curlies are starting to report that these have had a formula change and now too heavy, but I think they are worth a try. Also available at Target. Remember Target has a 90 day return policy even on opened beauty items, so it is no risk trial. 

Hopefully that can get you started. Learn what you can about the Curly Girl Method. Many people learned by reading the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. But you can just read around nc.com, and the newbie section of Curltalk is a great resource. You could also look at Curl Revolution, which is a new book by one of the cofounders of nc.com. It has the best of the best from curltalk, so its a good read.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file