AG Re:coil Curl Activator Formula Change

~mixedchick~~mixedchick~ Posts: 16Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Has anyone noticed a formula change with AG Re:coil curl activator within the past year? I normally buy 2 to 3 tubes at a time because this is my HG so there can be long periods of time between purchases. The time before last I noticed the tubes had a printed adhesive ingredient label placed over the normal ingredient list. The adhesive ingredient label matched my old bottle. The ingredients printed directly on the bottle, however, were different. I thought this was weird, but didn’t think much of it because I didn’t notice any differences once I started using the new bottle. 

When I made my next purchase, the ingredients printed directly on the bottle matched my old bottle, but the new bottles did not have the adhesive ingredient label over it. So the ingredients are different from my old bottle (kicking myself for not taking pictures because I don’t remember the differences). Now I’m very concerned because I’ve heard many complaints from curlies that some products stopped being their HG’s after a formula change. 

Anyway, I don’t think I’ve noticed much in the way of performance changes, but I have noticed that after using the tube for a while it developed this nasty rancid smell that I didn’t notice when I first opened the bottle. It was so terrible I had to wash it out of my hair. I threw that bottle away and opened a new one. The new bottle had hints of the rancid smell, but no where near as bad as the one I threw away. This kind of turned me off to the product so I stopped using it for a while. When I started again several months later I got that nasty rancid smell again. Even in a second unopened bottle. Either the shelf life of this product has drastically decreased, or I got a bad batch. Has anyone else experienced this, or noticed any other differences? Thanks for your help and I apologize for rambling. By the way, I get my AG from Ulta. 

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Wow that sounds awful. I have no experience with this product, but maybe you should contact he manufacturer. You should be able to get your money back, and it would also be good for them to know that a customer likes their original formula better.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,751Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    That sounds awful!  AG is a reputable company and always great to work with, from NC's perspective, but I wonder what's going on. I can ask Michelle if she knows. She's tied in pretty close with some of the manufacturers. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yikes! This makes me nervous... I just bought a new pump bottle of Re:Coil and checked the smell...it smells ok and I haven't had any performance issues with it.  

Did anyone find out what happened?
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,751Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Michelle didn't know of any changes. It seems like they'd be crazy to touch that formula.... it's such a popular product. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Gretchen said:
    Michelle didn't know of any changes. It seems like they'd be crazy to touch that formula.... it's such a popular product. 
    @Gretchen, thanks for following up on this.  Maybe the tubes Michelle purchased had been in a warehouse for a long time or something.  
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Ondulee said:
    Gretchen said:
    @Gretchen, thanks for following up on this.  Maybe the tubes Michelle purchased had been in a warehouse for a long time or something.  
    Maybe.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file