Cutting Your Own Curly Hair At Home- Tips and types of scissors

HenvillaHenvilla Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I've been doing a DIY haircut for a while now. Even though I thought I knew all there is to curly hair, I didn't realize that scissors get dull and can further damage your hair. The last time I cut my hair was in January (and it was a pretty big cut), and I further damaged my hair, making this whole natural hair journey even harder for me. 

I'm way too scared and nervous to get it professionally done, too poor for a devacut or anything that expensive, and I just want to get an actual nice, sharp pair of scissors for a reasonable price so I can cut my own hair.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what scissors I should use? Could I even go to Sally's and get great scissors? How often are you supposed sharpen scissors?
I just don't want to damage my hair again with the same, dumb mistake :( 
Shampoo: The Mane Choice Hydrating Shampoo
Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition Original
Leave-in: Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave-In
Styler (Gel/Mousse): DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel, DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam, Dippity‑Do Girls with Curls Curl Shaping Gelee
Styler (Cream): SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Treatment (I deep condition every Sunday): SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque, SheaMoisture Bamboo Extract & Maca Root Resilient Growth Protein Masque 

3B, medium-width hair, medium/high porosity, medium/high density, likes protein and moisture

Best Answers

• ellajellaj Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @Henvilla:)

Here is an article from right here at NC. Hopefully it will help you out.

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/haircuts/tips-for-buying-haircutting-shears

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

Accepted Answer
    Henvilla said:
    ellaj said:

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/haircuts/tips-for-buying-haircutting-shears

Thank you for the article! I actually already read this just earlier today. I also wanted to hear people's opinions on scissors they use and things like that.
    You are welcome, @Henvilla. :)

I hope someone chimes in soon with some advice for you. I do not cut my own hair as a rule, but I do have a pair of good hair scissors that I bought from Sallys for trimming racers and such. The salesgirl was extremely helpful and her number one tip was to "only use the scissors for hair."

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831 Administrator
    Accepted Answer
    I bought some "professional" hair cutting scissors on Amazon. They seem to do just fine. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I've used the same cheap pair of scissors from the dollar store for years and years. I love the size and shape of them.  I've never noticed any damage, but I only trim my hair a couple times a year so they probably haven't gotten very dull. 
    They look similar to these - 

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    edited March 2018 Accepted Answer
    I posted this photo of my scissors, from Sally's, in another thread. They are on the smaller size and very sharp. I've only used them a handful of times to snip at split ends.

Answers

• HenvillaHenvilla Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    ellaj said:

Thank you for the article! I actually already read this just earlier today. I also wanted to hear people's opinions on scissors they use and things like that.
    Shampoo: The Mane Choice Hydrating Shampoo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl One Condition Original
    Leave-in: Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave-In
    Styler (Gel/Mousse): DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel, DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam, Dippity‑Do Girls with Curls Curl Shaping Gelee
    Styler (Cream): SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Treatment (I deep condition every Sunday): SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque, SheaMoisture Bamboo Extract & Maca Root Resilient Growth Protein Masque 

3B, medium-width hair, medium/high porosity, medium/high density, likes protein and moisture

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file