Wavy and curly hair?

fawneefawnee Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I'm probably type 2c-3b. I have fine hair that appears a good bit thicker than it is. It doesn't quite reach my shoulders- it is longer than neck length though. The top layer of my hair clumps together easily and forms nice ringlets. However, the underlayer doesn't curl as easily. It seems to be more wavy than curly and is shorter than my curlier hair.  I get my curls from my dad, and his hair gets curlier the longer it grows. 
I think the length of my hair could be affecting its curl pattern- it starts to stick to my neck and shoulders and kicks out while it's drying. As well as this, when I do my best to let it dry curly, it does but then loses the curl realy quick. I think the heat from my neck doesn't help matters.

Does anyone have experience with this? Could growing out my hair make the waves more curly or am I just stuck with two really different patterns?

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Many people have this where.the undercarriage is either straighter or curlier than the rest of the hair. You are kind of stuck with it, but some people use techniques to try to get that area to curl (scrunching, using curl enhancer, etc).
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have 2b hair, and I find that growing out fine hair can help to a point as far as curl formation goes. I find that my hair starts getting really nice waves once it gets below my chin, but my hair overall gets flatter once my hair gets past my shoulders (because of the weight pulling out the curl).

You may find that a special curly cut will help you get more out of your underlayer. Deva and Ouidad are two popular types of curly cuts. They can unfortunately be kind of expensive. 

Do you use a hard-hold gel? Hard-hold gel can help with getting a tighter curl pattern.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I get a Devacut and she has to cut some sections shorter so they fall evenly with the more tightly curled sections once everything is dry. I have fine, thin 3A hair and growing it longer has resulted in tighter curls overall, oddly enough. My hair is heavily layered, but the longest parts are bra strap length when wet and it's a lot curlier than it was 6" shorter.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file