Why is my hair drying wavy?

BGChristieBGChristie Posts: 20Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any advice or reasoning on why my hair is going from curls when wet to waves when dry? When my hair is damp, my curls are 2c maybe even 3a, but by the time it dries, the have turned into loos 2a/2b waves. I have Botticelli curls and always scrunch my products in, to dry, I'll either diffuse with the DevaFuser on cool or air dry!  Am I applying my products wrong? Any advice or tips?

Thank you so much!

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you clarified recently, with a strong shampoo, say, one with a sulfate? What products are you using?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BGChristieBGChristie Posts: 20Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Therese1 said:
    Have you clarified recently, with a strong shampoo, say, one with a sulfate? What products are you using?
    I haven’t used a Sulfate shampoo in a month or so! I’m currently using Low-Poo Delight to cleanse 3x a week and One Condition Delight afterwards. I just recently bought As I Am Coconut Co-wash and am planning on cowashing when needed and only shampooing once a week. 

I use DevaCurl B’Leave In and then Ultra Defining Gel over it and will diffuse. I am debating about buying Kinky Curls Curling Custard and Knot Today, I’ve heard good things about them!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 2018
    I agree with @Therese1 that you might need to clarify. If you dont want to use a sulfate, Devacurl has a product called Buildup Buster that uses micellar water to remove buildup. Kinky Curly Come Clean is another popular sulfate free clarifier that will remove some types of buildup that even a sulfate cant.

If you clarify, you should follow with a moisturizing Deep Treatment. Devacurl Melt Into Moisture would work. You could use your regular condition, leave on for 20-30 minutes ideally under heat. 

But now that we know you are using Devacurl styling products, you should seriously try to figure out your hair properties. I know you dont want to but trying to figure out answers without information is just shooting the the dark. To be sure many of us have done this. But if you want a more targeted recommendation, it would help to know your hair properites. Devacurl styling products are known to have a lot of protein, and its possible this isnt compatible with your hair type. But without knowing your hair type, that is just a random guess.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    bomega said:
    I agree with @Therese1 that you might need to clarify. If you dont want to use a sulfate, Devacurl has a product called Buildup Buster that uses micellar water to remove buildup. Kinky Curly Come Clean is another popular sulfate free clarifier that will remove some types of buildup that even a sulfate cant.

If you clarify, you should follow with a moisturizing Deep Treatment. Devacurl Melt Into Moisture would work. You could use your regular condition, leave on for 20-30 minutes ideally under heat. 

But now that we know you are using Devacurl styling products, you should seriously try to figure out your hair properties. I know you dont want to but trying to figure out answers without information is just shooting the the dark. To be sure many of us have done this. But if you want a more targeted recommendation, it would help to know your hair properites. Devacurl styling products are known to have a lot of protein, and its possible this isnt compatible with your hair type. But without knowing your hair type, that is just a random guess.
    You’ve convinced me! How would I go about finding out the properties? Also, would you recommend I clarify with a sulfate shampoo and if so how often?
    @bomega
    I just finished the Texture Quiz and made sure I was doing it right (google is pretty cool)! I have 2b/2c with low porosity, medium thickness & density!
    Sometimes low-porosity hair can't handle a lot of protein. When my hair gets too much protein, one of the symptoms is that it is quite wavy when wet but dries straighter (though this can be caused by other things too, like build-up). If you want to test out this protein overload theory, I would do a deep condition with a conditioner that has no protein (you can just leave the conditioner on your freshly washed hair for half an hour or so, covered with a plastic cap and a towel) and then stay away from protein-containing products. You should see a difference within a couple of weeks of staying off protein.

I personally clarify with a sulfate or Kinky-Curly Come Clean once every two to four weeks. I clarify on the more frequent end if I have been using more stylers than usual. 
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Therese1 said:
    Sometimes low-porosity hair can't handle a lot of protein. When my hair gets too much protein, one of the symptoms is that it is quite wavy when wet but dries straighter (though this can be caused by other things too, like build-up). If you want to test out this protein overload theory, I would do a deep condition with a conditioner that has no protein (you can just leave the conditioner on your freshly washed hair for half an hour or so, covered with a plastic cap and a towel) and then stay away from protein-containing products. You should see a difference within a couple of weeks of staying off protein.

I personally clarify with a sulfate or Kinky-Curly Come Clean once every two to four weeks. I clarify on the more frequent end if I have been using more stylers than usual. 
    What low-protein products do you recommend? I don’t think DevaCurl is low-protein so I’i’ll to find some new stylers!
    I'm sensitive to lots of stuff, so I don't have many options, unfortunately, and most of them are expensive. Most of them are in my signature. For gels, I rotate between Kenra Firm-Hold Gel (the regular one, not the curly one), Bumble and Bumble Gel, and Intelligent Nutrients Gel. I occasionally use Jessicurl Confident Coils, but that doesn't have a lot of hold.

You could try Sevi Blue Yarrow Gel if your hair doesn't mind aloe.

For a deep conditioner, I use Jessicurl Deep Treatment.

I see in your other thread that you say that your hair is dry and brittle. That is generally what happens when the hair has too much protein. I would definitely try taking a break from Deva and using some protein-free products for a while.
  • machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 said:
    I haven’t used a Sulfate shampoo in a month or so! I’m currently using Low-Poo Delight to cleanse 3x a week and One Condition Delight afterwards. I just recently bought As I Am Coconut Co-wash and am planning on cowashing when needed and only shampooing once a week. 

I use DevaCurl B’Leave In and then Ultra Defining Gel over it and will diffuse. I am debating about buying Kinky Curls Curling Custard and Knot Today, I’ve heard good things about them!

Therese1 said:

It could be the Deva Delight which contains protein.  

• machermacher Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 said:

What low-protein products do you recommend? I don’t think DevaCurl is low-protein so I’i’ll to find some new stylers!
    You can use the regular Deva One Condtiiner that doesn’t contain protein. Also don’t cleanse and condition your hair as often as your currently doing. I’m a bonafied wavy and I can go 5-6 days without cleansing and conditioning, I just refresh in between. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file