Hello from new wavy - and help for my hair type!

phiabellephiabelle Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new and getting quite lost in all the info I've found so far. I tried to start by determining the hair type I have but it's difficult to match to pictures as it obviously changes depending on what I've done to my hair. Maybe you guys can help? I did the quiz and it came out a 2c. It also said high porosity but when I did the glass of water test my hair floated.

This pic is sort of my baseline. After washing I gently comb the top back from my hairline (to try and reduce frizz on canopy while drying), put in a little leave in conditioner or curl creme and leave it to dry. This looks pretty similar or second (and sometimes third) day especially if I refresh by scrunching with a handful of water and a little conditioner.

This is kinda the same but with a bit of light mousse that I tried today. It’s ok but a fair bit messier/frizzier than it looks in the photo.

This is what happens if I plunk it upside down while wet, in a tshirt, with a little curl crème (currently Boots). It tends to go nice and curly and the waves start much closer to my head (close to my goal) but it only lasts one day as it falls out a lot overnight. In the morning it’s straighter than normal. Never makes it to day 2. I have to wash it again or tie it up (and since it takes several hours to dry I can’t do it every day. Also I’m lazy.)

History: I thought my hair was fairly straight but very crap and frizzy for the first 30 years of my life. I straightened it for the last 15 years. I stopped 6-8 months ago. I have always had quite thin hair – thin as in sparse. My ponytail is about as thick as one of many other people’s pigtails, if you see what I mean.

Routine: I co-wash exclusively using Palmer’s Olive Oil Co-Wash. My hair always feels clean after. I use one extra pump after washing as a leave in. I squeeze out some water with a tshirt and normally add Boots curl crème. That’s it for routine so far, except days when I plunk.

Goal: I would like it as curly as possible, but really what I want is to bring out my best natural curl pattern (whatever that is) in as low-maintenance way as possible.

Sorry for the mega post, but I am quite lost! I would love to find a simple routine that embracing my natural hair, but I cant stand looking messy, or the thought of having to wash and wait hours to dry every single day.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you can give me!

Best Answer

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 9,545Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    edited March 12
    Welcome, @phiabelle !  Thanks for joining us at CurlTalk! 
    Your hair is very pretty.  You will find tons of great info all over the site.... get a cup of tea and settle in! 

NaturallyCurly.com co-founder

You are beautiful!
  • phiabellephiabelle Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you both - thanks for the nice words! I'm still trying to get to grips with my hair so it is appreciated! Have just learned that my hair is apparently very low porosity so I'll be investigating that next!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 441Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wish my hair looked like your in the picture where you plunked.  What is your nighttime routine?  Have you tried the pineapple and a satin pillowcase?

Have you tried refreshing with the Curl Creme and some water.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
    Re: plunking - refreshing doesn't work as I wake up with almost straight hair. So weird!

Nightime routine: Normally I just sleep on my hair (down) and refresh, if I've just got normal waves/curls from scrunching. They cope with that about 70% of the time, but just get a bit looser and frizzier overnight.

I tried pineappling but it leaves a dent in my hair, even with a scrunchie and only wrapped around once.

I really hate shiny bedsheets and pillows so keep putting off trying a satin one.

Something weird happened - I was away for work this weekend and late at night I was dirty and tired (it was manual labour!) so in desperation I just went to sleep with wet hair (I had done STC and applied creme and scrunched)

Amazed to wake up with my most curly hair to date.

A bit frizzy but I was *very* happy with the curls! Especially at the roots
  • ellajellaj Posts: 796Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    You should be happy @phiabelle. Those are nice "slept on curls" <3

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,325Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @phiabelle,

Your slept on curls look great! Yeah, I get that too sometimes. Sometimes I get up early, and workout. Then shower, and go back too bed for another hour (not a good idea but it happens). When I get to work, I get complements left and right. The catch is that sometimes, I wake up and my hair decides to point in wonky directions and refuses to setle down into a normal direction even with refresh techniques. Then I end up having to just tie it up in a pony. 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Giovanni LA Natural Gel
    Treatment: daily tea spray, coconut oil overnight treatment, citric acid rinse for hard water, 2-step henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 9,545Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Wow!  Your hair looks fantastic!  

NaturallyCurly.com co-founder

You are beautiful!
    Thank you guys so much! I guess we will see if this is going be repeatable! I would be very happy if I could get this hair more often :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file