DevaCut Experience?

BGChristieBGChristie Posts: 20Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hello friends! As I am just starting on this Curly Girl Journey, I have heard a lot of mixed opinions on the DevaCut! I was wondering what y’alls personal experiences are and if you would recommend getting it? And if so, how long should I wait until I get one? 

If not, how do you go about getting you hair cut? Any advice?

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have a great hair dresser who is 4 hours away from me, but I go up to get a hair cut from her 2-3 times a year. She isn't technically a CG hair dresser, but she cuts hair dry. But once I couldn't make it to her when I really needed a hair cut, so I got a Devacut from a hair dresser that was close to work. I thought I got a good hair cut, but it looked better styling with their products. I don't usually use styling products, so without the Devacurl styling products, it did not have the fullness of when I left the salon. If I had to start getting Devacuts I would, but I'm happy I have my hair dresser who can give me different looks beside the trademark Devacut.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • nu_natural10nu_natural10 Posts: 114Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love DevaCuts and I’m a type 4! However Devacurl products... no. They’re not bad products to me at least. But their super cream is like $28 a 5 oz tube! I can’t tell the difference between Deva cream and Shea Moisture’s curl enhancing smoothie which is about $11 and around 12 oz. Oh and a lot of people say they offer devacuts are frauds. Get a master cutter your first time and do A Lot of research on the salon. Salons maybe able to add themselves to some list of Deva cutters it seems. 
    Shampoo: Terressetials Mud Wash (lavender or lemon)
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
    Deep Conditioner: Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Condish
    Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Love it, wouldn't get another cut. I actually get mine done once a year and trim it myself every few months. Definitely read reviews before choosing a stylist. Just because someone is trained in the cut doesn't make them particularly good at it. Also be aware that a lot of people find their hair looks terrible the day of the cut and for a few days to a week afterward. My hair is a frizzy mess for a few days, then it settles and looks great. My stylist says cutting "angers the curls", lol.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I get a Ouidad cut rather than a Deva cut (Ouidad is a special curly cut too, but it's done on wet hair). I get mine done every few months. I am very happy with my stylist. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited April 2018
    Hello friends! As I am just starting on this Curly Girl Journey, I have heard a lot of mixed opinions on the DevaCut! I was wondering what y’alls personal experiences are and if you would recommend getting it? And if so, how long should I wait until I get one? 

If not, how do you go about getting you hair cut? Any advice?

I go to a stylist who’s less than 10 minutes from our house. I found her as highly recommendation from Scott Musgrave who’s the creator of Curly Hair Artistry. I’ve had curly type before from other stylists that weren’t far from me but I wanted to try other stylists out. The other stylists I’ve used are part of Deva Curl. Like I said the current stylist is part of Curly Hair Artistry.

My experience is that Deva Curl stylists are more stringent when it comes to the way they cut and only use Deva Curl products. My current stylist because I believe she’s part of Curly Hair Artistry used different brands of curly hair products depending on your hair type and properties and isn’t as stringent on the way she cuts my hair compared to the other stylists who are Deva Curl. She does cut my hair dry but she uses somewhat different techniques. Might want to call it modified versus a Deva Curl cut. For instance on dry hair she’ll cut certain sections of my hair like a regular stylist would cut hair when wet and other sections she’ll be meticulous and cut the waves / curls like a Deva Curl cut. She does this cause my hair is all mixed up. I’m a bonafied wavy with some sections of 3A/B hair. 
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    my current stylist is Deva trained and I'm very happy with her.  She has a lot of curly clients.  There are a lot of stylists who go to the Deva training and then don't use it much.  I've gone to two like that.  One seemed ok at first and then I found she wasn't really layering my hair at all.  The other preferred to cut my hair wet.  And she wouldn't dry it.  She was fairly inexpensive so I don't know if she thought she wasn't charging enough to warrant drying my hair.  I found it annoying so leave the salon with wet hair.

Now I have a keeper. I go every three to four months.  She cuts it dry and then curls with a curling iron.  She sells products but doesn't push them.  I don't use Deva products.  I tried some samples and didn't find them anything special.
    I use Garnier fresh clean gel, Garnier curl nourish shampoo and Garnier whole blends conditioner.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @sdkitty
    Please mention your stylist in the Salon/Stylist Chatter thread, so that others will know about her.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 360Registered Users Curl Novice
    @sdkitty
    Please mention your stylist in the Salon/Stylist Chatter thread, so that others will know about her.
    @sdkitty
    she isn't taking new clients
  • justkaty5justkaty5 Posts: 103Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I just got my first ever DevaCut a week ago. I was extremely skeptical because I just didn't see the benefit for the price. However, I've had the hardest time finding a stylist who cuts curly hair on a regular basis. Most view my hair as a challenge, and they are always looking to tame it rather than enhance the natural curl pattern. I'm sure there's a regular stylist in my city who does a fantastic job at cutting curly hair; I just haven't found that person.

So I decided to bite the bullet and shell out some extra money for someone who specializes in curly hair. I walked away with the best haircut I've had in years, possibly ever. My stylist is Deva and Ouidad certified which I thought was pretty impressive. I only get my hair cut once or twice a year, so I've decided it's worth spending the extra money to get a cut I actually like.
    2c, coarse, normal porosity, medium density, currently shoulder length
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i only get deva cuts since i started cg in 2006.   my hair has so many different curl patterns there is no other way to cut it and have the curls blend.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file