Why am I losing my curl throughout the day?

BGChristieBGChristie Posts: 20Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hello! I am just starting the Curly Girl Method and I'm absolutely loving it! My hair has so much more body and curl too it but by the end of the day, my curls turn more into loose waves. I used to straighten my hair so much that I'm not sure what my natural curl pattern/type is! Are my curls falling because of heat damage from straightening? Does anyone know why or have any advice?

(Morning, right after styling)

(Late Afternoon-same day)

Thank you!

Best Answers

• ellajellaj Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, @BGChristie, welcome to NC. I like your hair in both of the photos. ;)

Here is a very good article for you to read. I am thinking that you are in "2s" by looking at your pretty waves.  

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy/here-are-the-top-5-mistakes-wavies-make-when-starting-the-curly-girl-method

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    @BGChristie the only ones that have worked for me are Kinky Curly's Curling Custard and Innersense Organic's I Create Hold. Serious hold power. Innersense actually has loads of protein in it too. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Lots of good info here, @WavyKfromNJ. Thanks for the link. 

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    HI @BGChristie

Welcome to nc.com. Good for you for embracing your natural hair texture. However, to really know what is going on with your hair, it would be helpful to know your hair properties, as those can really help identify what types of products and techniques will work best with your hair. Try the nc.com Texture Quiz: https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz. This article may also help (especially for porosity, which can be elusive to identify): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-hair-analysis.html. Also, what products are you using in those pictures above?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Gel. Finish off with a nice hard hold gel and scrunch it when dry. I've tried everything to avoid that step but that's the ticket to multi day hold for me. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • kay-kay334kay-kay334 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Add more protein and curl holds your curls without it crunching
    ellaj said:
    @ellaj

The entire Sciency Hair Blog is excellent. It is worth reading every article. 

BTW, I really liked that article by Real Life+Curly Girl too. I was also really glad to see her as a contributor to nc.com. She has some great videos for fine low porosity wavies.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• BGChristieBGChristie Posts: 20Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @ellaj @bomega @WavyKfromNJ
    Oh Goodness, thank you so much! I’m weary to Type my hair because it was significantly curlier before I started my constant straightening and I’m hoping it’ll spring back! But I will definitely do the Porositypart! I actually just bought the DevaCurl Deep Sea Repair Treatment that have some proteins in it, so I will use that next wash day!

@Savagegirl I actually use a gel right now, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel. Am I using it wrong? How should I be applying it?
    Oh Goodness, thank you so much! I’m weary to Type my hair because it was significantly curlier before I started my constant straightening and I’m hoping it’ll spring back! But I will definitely do the Porositypart! I actually just bought the DevaCurl Deep Sea Repair Treatment that have some proteins in it, so I will use that next wash day!

@Savagegirl I actually use a gel right now, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel. Am I using it wrong? How should I be applying it?
    Yeah, the constant straightening did have an effect on your hair. But usually, following the CG Method helps it to come back in large part because of the essential moisturizing effects of the CG Method. But figuring out your hair properties, especially the porosity and the hair width will help refine the method to using products and techniques best suited to your hair as it is right now. For example, fine high porosity hair really benefits from protein everyday all the time time but coarse high porosity hair needs protein, but can get protein overload really easily so you have to be careful here. 

From what I understand, heat damage tends to do best well with moisture treatments, and this might be a better way to start, especially if you don't want to focus on your hair properties. I would recommend starting out with protein-free moisturizing deep treatments, and then working with protein after that. It is easier to recover from over moisture than over protein. If you are liking the Devacurl products you are using, they make a moisturizing DT called Melt Into Moisture. 

You might want to check out Rockyn Curls' blog. She started out with the Curly Girl Method to recover from heat damage, and got great results pretty quickly. She has some great technique videos too and does a good job of discussing alternatives for different hair types.

As for why your hair is falling in the end of the day, it would help to know at least what products you used in those photos. 

bomega said:

Yeah, the constant straightening did have an effect on your hair. But usually, following the CG Method helps it to come back in large part because of the essential moisturizing effects of the CG Method. But figuring out your hair properties, especially the porosity and the hair width will help refine the method to using products and techniques best suited to your hair as it is right now. For example, fine high porosity hair really benefits from protein everyday all the time time but coarse high porosity hair needs protein, but can get protein overload really easily so you have to be careful here. 

From what I understand, heat damage tends to do best well with moisture treatments, and this might be a better way to start, especially if you don't want to focus on your hair properties. I would recommend starting out with protein-free moisturizing deep treatments, and then working with protein after that. It is easier to recover from over moisture than over protein. If you are liking the Devacurl products you are using, they make a moisturizing DT called Melt Into Moisture. 

You might want to check out Rockyn Curls' blog. She started out with the Curly Girl Method to recover from heat damage, and got great results pretty quickly. She has some great technique videos too and does a good job of discussing alternatives for different hair types.

As for why your hair is falling in the end of the day, it would help to know at least what products you used in those photos. 
    Wow! Thank you so much! In these photos I either used DevaCurl Wave Maker or B’leave in with the Ultra Defining gel over it. I always scrunch to apply my products.
    I’m not opposed to discovering my hair properties, I’m just hoping that my waves will turn back into curls like they were when I was younger! 

You are very welcome, @BGChristie

bomega said:
    ellaj said:
    @ellaj

The entire Sciency Hair Blog is excellent. It is worth reading every article. 

BTW, I really liked that article by Real Life+Curly Girl too. I was also really glad to see her as a contributor to nc.com. She has some great videos for fine low porosity wavies.
    I agree @bomega, it IS an excellent blog. :)  

@bomega @ellaj @WavyKfromNJ
    I bit the bullet and took the Texture Quiz, with the help of Google to make sure I was doing it right! I have 2b/2c waves with low porosity and both medium thickness & density!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file