One product routine?

PoodleNoMorePoodleNoMore Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
First post! Wheee!

I have uncolored, low porosity, 2c/3a hair. It's super fine, but I have lots of it. Protein seems to dry it out. Too much moisturize weighs it down. Gels (except for DC's Ultra Defining Gel" maybe) gives it a crunch that refuses to be scrunched. Oils make my hair generally quit on life.

All in all, if I just look at it wrong, there will be weighed down cast (that even darkens my hair) or just looks stringy and sad...no matter how little I use.

It can really only hold one product. And when that product is right, I have a great voluminous mob of curls that bounce and stick around. I know it's possible. 

I am ETERNALLY on the look out for ONE product that moisturizes and offer some hold but looks like there's no product in at all.

The only two that have worked are:
Phyto's Botanical Straightening Balm (yes, this is for straight hair. Yes, it's a heat styling product. But man, if I put it on soaking wet curls and let it air dry or diffuse, I'll have super defined curls without a hint of a cast!)

Rene Furterer Leave In (use it as a squish to condish leave in after rinsing out my normal conditioner and that's it.)

Sad part, at some point my hair gets used to any product, no matter how much I've loved it. (Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Not clarifying enough? Too many deep conditioning treatments? I don't know.)

Any other one product recommendations for defined curls without a hint of a cast?

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,526Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  You might like Bounce Curl.  It's a cream/gel, very light, and leaves very little gel cast on my hair.  I think it might have protein though, so check on that before you buy it.  Or if not that, look into other gel/creams.  A cream or lotion will leave little to no cast, and gels will not weigh down your hair (in general - some are heavier than others). 

Or another thing that might work is Curl Keeper Original.  It's somewhere between a gel and a serum.  Much runnier than a traditional gel.

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • PoodleNoMorePoodleNoMore Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you @Guide 65! I'll definitely give them a go! Now I only have to figure out where to purchase them in Europe :)
  • StraightPassingStraightPassing Posts: 76Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited March 10
    Will keep you updated but next washday I'm going to try the two Shea moisture products I bought, one is their black castor oil leave in conditioner and the other is their coconut curl milk. If I start with the milk I can let you know how it goes because we have similar hair (I'm low porosity, 3a/3b/2c) and if you think it'll work for you , Boots sells it for only £11 which while it's a small bottle (254ml) your hair being low porosity and fine you''ll probably only need a smidge. :) 

It does also say for thick curly hair too, so if I update you when I've tried it, you can always go from there. :)
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 10
    Do you clarify?

I am wondering if everyone that say products only work for a month clarify.  If there is buildup from these products, it may be the reason for products no longer working.  Even CG approved products can cause buildup.

Generally fine hair likes protein, but not all proteins are created equal.  So I wonder if you are using products with the wrong protein.  Here is a blog post about proteins:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html

I also like and use Living Proof In-Shower Styler.  It does not leave a cast, is made for air drying and gives me bouncy waves.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • curlykristincurlykristin Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Try deva Curl frizz free volumizing foam. 
    :sunny:3B- anywhere from sidewalk chalk to straw sized! High Porosity and fine, low density

Day 1
    Shea moisture high porosity cowash
    shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl conditioner 
    KCCC
    DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam

Day 2
    spritz with oil wonders volume rose conditioner diluted with water and rescrunch
    one squirt of frizz free foam

Deep Treatment:
    Shea Moisture High Porosity masque
    aphogee keratin and green tea protein spray

Currently in recovery from too much bleach and chronic heat styling. 
  • PoodleNoMorePoodleNoMore Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @StraightPassing ; I just bought the Shea Moisture Black Castor Oil Poo and Conditioner. I've liked them so far. The Coconut Curl Enhancing Smoothie not so much, unfortunately (just a pea sized amount was enough to turn my hair into an oil slick.) Heard a lot of good thing about the castor oil leave in. Do keep me updated on how your wash day goes!

@WavyKfromNJ I do clarify, yes. I use Cantu's clarifying shampoo when it gets bad. And, well, if it gets super bad I'll even use a sulfate shampoo once just to hit reset. But I try not to clarify too often. About the protein, thank you for the link! I'm epically confused, though. I thought that fine, low po hair likes smaller protein molecules such as silk protein etc. So I tried Shea Moisture's Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo and Conditioner for a while, but it was a hot, stiff mess. I've been thinking to just stay away from protein all together :(

@curlykristin thank you for the rec! Haven't had any luck with foams (stiff ramen noodle curls) but I could give that one a shot!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso

@WavyKfromNJ I do clarify, yes. I use Cantu's clarifying shampoo when it gets bad. And, well, if it gets super bad I'll even use a sulfate shampoo once just to hit reset. But I try not to clarify too often. About the protein, thank you for the link! I'm epically confused, though. I thought that fine, low po hair likes smaller protein molecules such as silk protein etc. So I tried Shea Moisture's Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo and Conditioner for a while, but it was a hot, stiff mess. I've been thinking to just stay away from protein all together :(

Maybe it wasn't the protein that did it.

I looked at the Cantu website and the Target website.  I could not find the ingredient list for the shampoo, so I wonder if is not working as a true clarifing shampoo.

If you read the "Science-y Hair Blog"  she has lots of great information on all things hair.  She has a post for how to moisturize low porostiy hair.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 10
    Hi @PoodleNoMore

Welcome to nc.com, and good for you for embracing your natural hair texture. It's actually pretty lucky that you have a couple leave-ins that you can use as stylers and have them work. I'm going to second that maybe you need to clarify more frequently if you find they work then stop working (assuming they start working after you clarify?). However, the problem may be your clarifying shampoo. Fine, low porosity hair can tend to build-up with cationic conditioners (BTMS, BTC, etc), which while is very nice in moderation, can develop into tenacious build-up. These can only be removed with Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate or Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate. The Cantu Sulfate Free Cleansing Cream Shampoo should remove most types of build-up including the more tenacious buildup from cationinc conditoning agents, because it has the C14-16 sulfonate. The catch is that it also has one of those cationic agents in it - the Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride. Wendy of the Sciency Hair blog actually reports this is one with higher potential for build-up. The fact that you feel you have to "periodically reset" with a sulfate makes me wonder if this is the problem. I'm not entirely sure this is the problem, but I would say when you run out of it try finding a clarifying shampoo with one of those ingredient that removes cationic conditioner build-up, and also doesn't have one in it it, since you are having trouble with build-up issues. Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular choice, and if available from iherb.com, so you can order it from Europe too. (Here is an article with more info about product build-up: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/shampoos-which-remove-product-build-up.html).

The problem you are facing is typical of fine, Low Porosity hair - it usually has trouble getting moisturized but ironically easily gets issues with product build up. Wendy of the Sciency Hair Blog actually recommends that people with this type of hair try completely avoid cationic conditioners and see if it helps: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html (scroll down to the end of section 1 of the recommendations). My experience was that for a long time I did use one of those conditioners successfully (the Giovanni Magnetic shampoo and conditioner) but I also enjoyed the benefits of cationic conditioners when I found them. Years ago, I went from the Giovanni Magnetic to the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Style Milk. Back then, my hair used to love silk protein and it definiltely like the cationic conditioners in these. I was actually going to recommend them to you, but you already said they were too heavy. I think there has been a formulation change in these since I used them, and now a lot of people report what you did. A major change to the forumla is that it now has glycerin in it. I think this is what is causing the problem for most people. If you can find CG-Friendly products with silk protein but without the glycerin, I still think it would be worth a try. 

So really, since you have a shampoo, conditioner, and a couple of leave-ins that are working for you, I think you just need to work out your clarifying schedule and routine, and don't be shy about clarifying when your hair wants it.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,388Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I clarify regularly, but I too have a problem with getting build-up after using stuff for a month or so. My theory is that some herbal extracts bond to the hair in a way that they cannot easily be removed (kind of like protein). My problem seemed to be stylers rather than conditioners. What I have started doing is rotating my stylers so that I don't use any of them two wash days in a row. That seems to have fixed the problem.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • machermacher Posts: 1,012Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I used that all the time until they changed the ingredients. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,657Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    macher said:

Doesn't that make you crazy? When they change the formula?!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Gretchen said:
    macher said:

The best is when they add something you're allergic to to a product you've been using for years and you can't figure out why your ears are suddenly bright red, swollen and painful. I'm not bitter about this at all, not even a little. Well, okay, a little.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,657Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Gretchen said:
    macher said:

The best is when they add something you're allergic to to a product you've been using for years and you can't figure out why your ears are suddenly bright red, swollen and painful. I'm not bitter about this at all, not even a little. Well, okay, a little.
    Oh no!!! That's awful! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file