How do I keep my hair moisturized throughout the week?

zoozoedzoozoed Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Novice
Ever since I started my hair journey in January 2017, I have been struggling to keep my hair moisturized. My hair would be moisturized during my wash day and the day after, but that is it. Two days after my wash day, my hair goes back to being really really dry. You probably want to have some background information on hair, so below is just that.

Products I Use For My Wash Day
Shampoo: Baobab & Tea Tree Oils Low Porosity Protein-Free Shampoo
Deep Conditioner: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque and SheaMoisture JBCO Masque
Conditioner: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Conditioner
Leave-In Conditioner: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Conditioner
Butter/Oil: SheaMoisture Ulta-Hydrating Shea Butter

Entries After Washing Hair
On Wash Day: I braid my hair in sections since I am not going anywhere
Day After Wash Day (Normally Sunday): I unbraid and style my hair for church (I did not use any products). My hair is pretty moisturized but not as moisturized as my hair was on my wash day
Two Days After Wash Day: Hair is dry and looks sickly
Next Few Days Until Next Wash Day: Hair feels really dry. 

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You need to moisturize between washes.  Not doing that is like waiting until you are dehydrated before drinking water.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,407Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have the same problem. The only solution is to rewet the hair between washes. Hair is like fiber: it can get wet, but the moisture evaporates. It's like washing clothing and then leaving it out to hang: it eventually loses all its moisture. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    A agree you need to add hydration between wash days. An easy but popular refresher spray is to add a drop of your regular conditioner to a spray bottle with water. Some people also develop a night time routine.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,747Administrators, Moderators Administrator

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • islandchickislandchick Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with most of the comments here, you need to moisturize between wash days. Some people run out of moisture in their hair faster than others and that all depends on hair type, porosity, etc. etc. Water is your number one moisturizer, so make sure when you're using your leave in and butters that you're wetting your hair with water first. My low porosity hair responds better to warm water as opposed to lukewarm or cold water

Apart from that, one way is to make sure things like your shampoo aren't stripping your hair. If you're shampooing dry hair, it can be really difficult to replenish that moisture. To prevent too much stripping, you can try a pre-poo with whichever oils your hair likes best or even with aloe vera gel. 

Another problem can also be how long you're keeping in your conditioner and what type of conditioner you're using. I used to have problems with getting moisture from conditioners because I was trying to use the regular aussie moist conditioner as a deep conditioner when it's designed as a wash out conditioner, so make sure you're detangling with a detangling conditioner and conditioning with a deep conditioner. Also, give your hair enough time to drink in the deep conditioner, heat helps a lot. Sitting under a hooded dryer for an hour or putting on a plastic cap followed by a warm hat can help as well to open the follicles.

That's about it, I hope this helps.
  • lawlaw Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with the moisturizing between wash days, but Tea Tree is VERY drying to my and my husbands hair.  Though I don't moisturize daily I find that the steam from my daily shower added moisture. Also Shea butter tends to coat my low porosity hair not letting more moisture in. I hope this helps. 
    "You Tied that thing up outside?" said Kepler. "What if he got hungry and ate a mailman or a kindergarten class or something? The least you could do is tie a decent knot." Metzger's Dog by Thomas Perry
  • JennisJennis Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    How many products have you tried? I use this tea tree shampoo by Maple Holistics and I find it works for me. Everyone has different so I don't know it it will work with you. I hope you find a product to help with your hair.
  • Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I usually refresh my hair if I am wearing braid meaning redo remoisturize etc. Or I moisturize my hair in braids with water a leave in oil and a butter...by squeezing the products into my hair and focusing on my ends. I am high porosity so I do this every three to four days, before I undo them and wear my hair out. 
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have to refresh my hair daily or otherwise my hair is a brillo pad. I sometimes add a tiny bit of conditioner after the shower as my hair gets a little wet. I use the praying hands method and refresh in the morning.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've recently made myself an aloe Vera spray with 3oz. Aloe Vera gel(drinking kind not the sunburn lotion kind) and 2oz. Boiled water and 5 drops grapefruit seed extract.  I lightly mist my hair all over and underneath, then let it air dry. Then I crunch out any gel cast created by refreshing the products already in my hair.  It seems to be working pretty well.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,747Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Ondulee said:
    I've recently made myself an aloe Vera spray with 3oz. Aloe Vera gel(drinking kind not the sunburn lotion kind) and 2oz. Boiled water and 5 drops grapefruit seed extract.  I lightly mist my hair all over and underneath, then let it air dry. Then I crunch out any gel cast created by refreshing the products already in my hair.  It seems to be working pretty well.
    Interesting!  What does the grapefruit seed extract do? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • CurledvinesCurledvines Posts: 60Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Grapefruit seed extract in that recipe is most likely a preservative; I do not recall if it is thought to be wide spectrum, but do recall it is not universally thought as a good choice preservative. Would be good to keep the spray in the refrigerator and not for more than 7 days.
    2C/3A long hair with some 3C thrown in
    High Porosity, dense, coarse hair
    I make my own protein masks
  • MafiaPrincessMafiaPrincess Posts: 57Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    To all my beautiful fellow curlies struggling to keep their hair hydrated in between wash days, try wetting your hair completely or Upto 75% everyday. This is purely personal, depending on how long your hair might take to dry. Adjust the wetting extent accordingly. Once sufficiently wet, apply aloe Vera gel using praying hands method to your hair in sections. Once done, scrunch up each section well. You'll get lovely hydrated curl clumps. You can plop, diffuse or just air dry after. That's completely Upto you. 
  • CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited July 14
    I would suggest trying more water soluble products, instead of all shea butter & oils based. I noticed my high porosity hair finally recovered from draught after I ditched those heavy products.
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: SM 100% Virgin coconut daily hydration, DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Trepadora Gojiberry Mint Reviving hair rinse
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, SM Manuka honey & Mafura oil, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition and One Condition Decadence
    Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original
    Refresher: diluted conditioner in a spritz bottle

• Martreb2001Martreb2001 Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I like scrunching essential oils into my hair, but you have to make sure they’re 100% pure and that you’re using ones that have moisturizing properties. My favorite is cedar wood and lavender from young living.
  • AnneCuthersAnneCuthers Posts: 35Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You need to moisturize between washes.  Not doing that is like waiting until you are dehydrated before drinking water.
    Newbie here, how do you get the thing at the bottom of your comments that says your hair type and the products you use
    Type 4 hair
    High porosity
    Medium density
    Medium strand thickness

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,629Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @AnneCuthers, up at the top right, above the New Discussion bar, there's some small icons - click on the gear, which takes you to Edit Profile.  Then on the right, click on Signature Settings.  You should be able to enter your info there. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • AnneCuthersAnneCuthers Posts: 35Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    @Guide 65  thank you!
    Type 4 hair
    High porosity
    Medium density
    Medium strand thickness

• .coconut..coconut. Posts: 13Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hey, same prob here so I just wash it more frequently so I can put all my moisturizing products and SEAL with heavy oil (avocado its perfect for me)....
    I feel like when I refresh my hair (high porosity) its just never wet enough :expressionless:
  • andescorciaandescorcia Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Look what I found on Ebay the other night... A kit for curly hair with satin pillowcase, satin bonnet, satin scrunchie, comb, bath cap and microfiber towel all for just $39.The seller is dragonfly_accessories
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 94Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    edited October 24
    Ondulee said:
    Interesting, I want to try this.  How does this compare to using a leave-in conditioner? 
    2c/3a | low porosity | medium density | mixed thickness | protein and coconut sensitive | CGM

Wash: JessiCurl Cleansing Cream; DevaCurl Low Poo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Deep Conditioner: NYMN Green Butter Masque w/ Hot Head cap
    Stylers: Curl Junie Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel

The Curly Girl Method helped me fall in love my natural curls
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 94Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    have you considered ditching traditional shampoo and start co-washing? 
    2c/3a | low porosity | medium density | mixed thickness | protein and coconut sensitive | CGM

Wash: JessiCurl Cleansing Cream; DevaCurl Low Poo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Deep Conditioner: NYMN Green Butter Masque w/ Hot Head cap
    Stylers: Curl Junie Spiral Lotion, JessiCurl Sprialicious Gel

The Curly Girl Method helped me fall in love my natural curls
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,303Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited October 26
    Ondulee said:
    Interesting, I want to try this.  How does this compare to using a leave-in conditioner?   Having issues replying...forgive please.  My hair is too fine and thin for leave in , the aloe spray doesn't add heaviness because it's only a few squirts.  As it gets colder, I might add a 1/2 tsp of conditioner to the aloe spray.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file