Cg for 2/mo, looking for suggestions

CassnkenCassnken Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
edited March 2018 in Introductions
been CG for a few months- two maybe? My hair does feel better but I don’t think I’ve found the right products or something. It’s hard to get 2nd day hair. My hair still feels limp and greasy like before I started the cg method. So ether I need more protein (my hair seems to like rice water but even those results are just temporary) or something I’m using isn’t fully CG.

i use the pink NYM Tahitian gardens shampo and conditioner. Then I use the clear eco gel and some Cantu curl activator. I used to use the carols daughters black vanilla leave in but my hair already goes limp too quickly without it. Then I plop for 30 min, diffuse for 30 min, air dry for 30-40, then apply a bit more gel/Cantu curl activator and diffuse for another 30 min.  Initially it’s very nice but goes flat and feels greasy the next day. I sleep with my hair in a scarf.

Anyone one have any suggestions? I used the Camille rose seaweed deep conditioner but my hair didn’t like it. I do use rice water but we don’t eat rice (low carb) so it feels wasteful to just buy rice for the water.

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Can you tell us more about your hair?  It may help us make suggestions.  Fine hair and course hair react differently to the same products.  Hair diameter (course, average, fine), porosity (high, normal, low) seem to be the most important.

Here is a guide to help you with the moisture/protein question.
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

A protein treatment is not permanent.  If you hair needs protein, you will need to add it regularly, just like you need to add moisture
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Cassnken

Welcome to nc.com. Good for you for embracing your curls. It can be difficult to figure it out at first, but you came to the right place!

It would be helpful to know your hair properties to help identify what types of products and techniques will most likely work with your hair. The products you are using are technically CG Friendly, but there could be something incompatible with your hair in your products. This can help figure that out Try the nc.com texture quiz: https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz. This article may also help, especially for porosity, which can be difficult to identify: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-hair-analysis.html
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @Cassnken!  So happy you've joined us at CurlTalk! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I re-read your post.  I would start with a clarifying shampoo.  That will give your hair a fresh start.  Even CG approved products can have build up.  Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular clarifying shampoo.  You should use this on a regular basis, the schedule is different for everyone, you will need to pay attention to your hair

After you clarify you can try your products again and see how your hair acts.  If it still gets greasy and weighed down your products may be too heavy.

If you have fine hair and/or high porostiy hair you may need protein.

What do you mean by your hair did not like the C.R. deep conditioner?  The more details you can give us the more we can help.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file