Video of Lorraine Massey using a Dyson dryer

WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I was searching for curly videos and I stumbled on one of Lorraine Massey.  This is an appearance to help promote her new book.  But I was shocked at the dryer she is using.  Not a Deva Dryer, but a Dyson

It show up around the 30 second mark

2b, 2c,
High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I think she's no longer a part of Deva Curl and she's starting a brand new company, so Deva is now her competitor.  When you think about it like that, it's no wonder she's not promoting Deva anymore.  It's kind of sad though.  The Devafuser was a radical new design for a diffuser.  It's too bad she can't use it anymore.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have a very inexpensive diffuser, it came with the hair dryer when I bought it from Target. Is there a big difference in diffuser styles? I have been thinking of replacing the dinosaur that I have.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    ellaj said:
    I have a very inexpensive diffuser, it came with the hair dryer when I bought it from Target. Is there a big difference in diffuser styles? I have been thinking of replacing the dinosaur that I have.
    Funny you should ask, I saw this before I found the Lorraine Massey video:

It is a review of 4 different diffusers (4 different diffuser styles)
    2b, 2c,

Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Thank's so much, @WavyKfromNJ:) I will go and watch the video right now.

edited March 2018
    That was a great comparison @WavyKfromNJ, thank-you! The funny thing is this, the woman's hair, length, curl type, definition and hairstyle are exactly like mine. Just add a bunch of silver and we could be hair twins, lol.

My choice would be the travel diffuser. I like that it collapses, making it easy to store. 

ellaj said:
    That was a great comparison @WavyKfromNJ, thank-you! The funny thing is this, the woman's hair, length, curl type, definition and hairstyle are exactly like mine. Just add a bunch of silver and we could be hair twins, lol.

My choice would be the travel diffuser. I like that it collapses, making it easy to store. 
    Glad I could help.  It was very lucky timing.  The woman in the video is FitKat, she is the woman behind Medusa Clipping.  I hardly ever use a dryer, but I want a Dyson.  I think the Dyson will have to wait until I win the Lottery.
    2b, 2c,

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i have an  ionic dryer, a tourmaline, which is good. (mine is about 100 yrs old, give or take, LOL!) the ionic dryers dry more quickly and the hair has more body, less frizz.  

i rarely use a dryer, but when i do, i prefer this type. 

IF the search function is working you should be able to find a few threads about this type or dryer.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i have an  ionic dryer, a turmaline, which is good.  the ionic dryers dry more quickly and the hair has more body, less frizz.  

i rarely use a dryer, but when i do, i prefer this type. 

IF the search function is working you should be able to find a few threads about this type or dryer.

@WavyKfromNJ -- thanks for the video, read the book and loved seeing the video!
    lorraine left devachan a few years ago (maybe like 2013?).  she is the one who came up with the deva cut, and is now calling it curl by curl cut.  she also founded devachan.   i am sure she might still use some of their products, but i believe she is coming out with some of her own very soon. not sure if it is for gray hair or curly hair, or both.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Thanks @rbb ; One of the things that bug me about hair dryers is the noise.  The Dyson is supposedly quieter than the average dryer.  For now I am going to stick to air drying which is extremely quiet.

I guess I am more surprised that she is using a Dyson as opposed to the thousands of other dryers

The trademarks for Curly World look like there will be several products.  I am guessing they are universal for curly/straight/gray/dyed.  If they fit her philosophy anyone can use them.
    2b, 2c,

• curlykristincurlykristin Posts: 63Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My husband got me the dyson dryer for my birthday because, apparently I spend a lot of time doing my hair. 😂 this sweet man saved up for it. 

the diffuser is very very gentle and the cold shot works quickly. It is definitely not as loud as my other dryer. I have the deva diffuser, a standard diffuser and a hot sock. I really do prefer how gentle the diffuser is over the others. (But I imagine that could be achieved for much less.)

I can’t wait to see what Lorraine’s new products will be! 

:sunny:3B- anywhere from sidewalk chalk to straw sized! High Porosity and fine, low density

Day 1
    Shea moisture high porosity cowash
    shea moisture coconut and hibiscus curl conditioner 
    KCCC
    DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam

Day 2
    spritz with oil wonders volume rose conditioner diluted with water and rescrunch
    one squirt of frizz free foam

Deep Treatment:
    Shea Moisture High Porosity masque
    aphogee keratin and green tea protein spray

Currently in recovery from too much bleach and chronic heat styling. 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    ellaj said:

I have a collapsible travel diffuser.  I find it really difficult to use.  It might be ok if you just hold it close to your hair and hold still, but I like to scrunch my hair in the diffuser and hold it against my scalp.  Can't do it with this.  The slightest pressure causes it to collapse.  I'll keep it for traveling, because it packs so small, but I won't ever use it at home.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Guide 65 said:
    ellaj said:

I have a collapsible travel diffuser.  I find it really difficult to use.  It might be ok if you just hold it close to your hair and hold still, but I like to scrunch my hair in the diffuser and hold it against my scalp.  Can't do it with this.  The slightest pressure causes it to collapse.  I'll keep it for traveling, because it packs so small, but I won't ever use it at home.
    Thanks for this, @Guide 65  :) 

Just for fun.....https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy/i-tried-diffusing-with-a-strainer-heres-what-it-looked-like-after

• machermacher Posts: 1,031Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Guide 65 said:
    I think she's no longer a part of Deva Curl and she's starting a brand new company, so Deva is now her competitor.  When you think about it like that, it's no wonder she's not promoting Deva anymore.  It's kind of sad though.  The Devafuser was a radical new design for a diffuser.  It's too bad she can't use it anymore.

No longer part of Deva Curl? I thought she was the creator? Did she sell it?
    macher said:
    Guide 65 said:

No longer part of Deva Curl? I thought she was the creator? Did she sell it?
    Years ago she sold it.  Now she has CurlyWorld.
    2b, 2c,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file