Does anyone else have a friend who seems to suffer from hair envy?

Iciepop09Iciepop09 Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited March 7 in Hair Type 4
So, basically, my best gal and I have been going through our hair journey simultaneously. I'm 3c/4a and she is 4c. However, I have noticed that she tends to try and make it seem like we have the same type. Even talking down my hair type (granted I have a medium length TWA so dry it reaches my ears) But when it's wet it hangs to my shoulders. SSigh. I guess I want her to be true to herself. 4c is beautiful. Has anyone else had this issue before. Have you ever had hair envy and how did you overcome?
3c/4a 
Thick, Coarse
Medium-Low Porosity

Wash day#1: Rhassoul red clay (Olive oil, Jojoba, Argan, Castor, Vit E, and Peppermint), No conditioner needed. 2xmonth
Wash day#2Bentonite Clay (Olive oil, Avocado, Jojoba, Sweet Almond, and Lavender Oil), follow with a Protein/moisturizing DC 2xmonth (Shampoo used if needed: Pure oils Shampoo by Silk Elements)
Oil Mix Sealant : Olive Oil/Jojoba base, Argan, Vit E, Avocado, JBCO, and Peppermint
Whipped Butter mix: Mango/Rosemary/Shea Butter with Olive oil, Jojoba, Castor, and Sweet Almond.
Stylers: Shea Moisture hair smoothie and Eco style Flaxseed gel. 

Best Answer

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 7 Accepted Answer
    It sounds like a bit more than hair envy to me.  Do you compliment her on her hair?
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Answers

• Iciepop09Iciepop09 Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Most definitely ! her hair is gorgeous and she really rocks her (1) style(which happens to be sponged look) but I think she limits herself. Mind you, my mom is a cosmetologist so hair has never been an issue and I feel like styles are endless! She just doesn't style it to its full potential and she's just focused on it growing and that's why i feel like shes ignoring her hairs ability. And it doesn't help when we are at 2 separate parts of our hair journey.  
    3c/4a 
    Thick, Coarse
    Medium-Low Porosity

Wash day#1: Rhassoul red clay (Olive oil, Jojoba, Argan, Castor, Vit E, and Peppermint), No conditioner needed. 2xmonth
    Wash day#2Bentonite Clay (Olive oil, Avocado, Jojoba, Sweet Almond, and Lavender Oil), follow with a Protein/moisturizing DC 2xmonth (Shampoo used if needed: Pure oils Shampoo by Silk Elements)
    Oil Mix Sealant : Olive Oil/Jojoba base, Argan, Vit E, Avocado, JBCO, and Peppermint
    Whipped Butter mix: Mango/Rosemary/Shea Butter with Olive oil, Jojoba, Castor, and Sweet Almond.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you introduced her to NC?
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Iciepop09Iciepop09 Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited March 7
    Ohhhh naturally curly? I have tried to but idk if she really got into this. This has helped me a lot personally
    3c/4a 
    Thick, Coarse
    Medium-Low Porosity

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Yeah, I agree it sounds like hair envy, but like most envy, it is probably rooted in insecurity that is not related to her hair. There really is only one person who can cure this type of problem, and, well, it isn't you. It's possible that this insecurity isn't too deep and will blow over when she picks up a couple of skills to deal with her hair that work for her, but again, that also isn't up to you. :/ Honestly, I think it would be better if you stopped letting her run you around. Certainly be gentle, nice, and helpful to her over this in so far as you can, but if she runs her game, I wouldn't play it.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file