What's wrong with my hair?

tithenmamiwentithenmamiwen Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
About a month ago I cut my 3a hair to my shoulders, and now it's more like a frizzy type 2b/2c ever since I got it cut. I've tried a lot of recommended stuff to make it hold curls like it used to, but it just sags down in a weird, undefined, and fuzzy S shape. Some things that don't help are: Diffusing with cold air (rarely have time to do this and when I do, the flyaways go crazy, and by the end of the day it goes back to being loose waves), plopping/scrunching (this gives definition for only 30 seconds), co-washing/leaving conditioner in/using gels (weighs down my hair), and oils (they hydrate my hair, but have no affect on the curl shape). My hair usually needs hydrating and extra hold products that are weightless to avoid issues like this. I've always taken care of my hair and never damaged it with heat tools or dyes, so I'm confused. Did my hair cut mess up my curl pattern or is my hair just changing? If cutting changed it, what should I do to help it curl more until it's long enough to cut again? I'm really clueless.

I did get high porosity and fine thickness on the texture quiz, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with that.

Thanks for reading!

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Did anything else change other than the hair cut?  It seems odd, if the only difference is the hair cut.
    Any health issues?  Moving to a different area?  Different products?
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • tithenmamiwentithenmamiwen Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    A couple weeks before I got my hair cut I tried co-washing, but nothing else changed. My diet has been crazy lately, but that's about it. I am moving to a different state soon, though.

I've been using the same kinds of products for 4 years now, so maybe I need to change and experiment with new stuff...
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I would go too nuts with new products, especially if you are moving.

You may be moving to a region that has very different water, and will need different products.  Here is a link about hard water
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/hard-water-and-your-hair.html

When you got your haircut is it possible that non CG products were used and you now have buildup?  A clarifying treatment may be a good idea too.

You may be using products that have changed formulas. 

Fine and high porosity hair generally like protein, so you may want to try incorporating a protein treatment.
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html

You will probably need a deep treatment after the protein and the clarifying.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Did you try clarifying with a sulfate shampoo? When nothing seems to work, that is often the answer.

Protein may help too.

Did you get your hair cut by your usual stylist? If it was a new stylist who is not familiar with curly hair, she might have used thinning shears or something, which would cause the hair not to be able to clump properly.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    My hair curls differently at different lengths. It might just be normal. But I agree with @Therese1 that it might help to clarify.

You can use an sulfate shampoo that doesn't have avoid ingredients (silicones, petroleum products/mineral oil). VO5 Normal Shampoo is a very inexpensive option. But it might be better to use a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo that contains Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. This ingredient removes types of build up that even sulfate cannot. Kinky Curly Come Clean is popular choice.

Either one you use, it is a good idea to follow with a moisturizing deep treatment. To do a DT, you can use a product designed for it, like Camille Rose Naturals Algae Treatment or As I Am Hydration Elation. You can also use your regular CG-friendly rinseout conditioner, maybe adding a few drops of oil and maybe a little honey to get a boost. Either way, apply generously, put on a shower cap and leave on for 20-30 minutes, ideally under heat (a wash cloth warmed with hot water will do). Then rinse out.

All of the above products are available at Target, but there are other options too.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file