Low Porosity or Really Dry Hair?

K.oskkK.oskk Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I've been following the curly girl method for a while now and I'm positive I've figured out my porosity by now. However I've noticed a section of my hair is dry practically all the time; even when I'm in the shower and the rest of my hair is soaked. 

I can get decent even curls everywhere except for this area. I don't know how to fix this or what's causing it. 
3B/3A — Medium-Low Density — Low Porosity — Medium-Fine Width

Best Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi,
      I am also the proud owner of a wonky spot, so you are not alone.  I will tell you what I did and hopefully it will help you understand what your hair needs.

This post from RockynCurls really helped: 
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning
    She helped me identify that my spot needed more protein.

I would suggest starting by clarifying your hair and use little or no leave in (just for a short time) and let it air dry.  How is that spot compared to the rest of your hair?  Does it look and feel more like straw or cotton candy?  How is the stretch?

For me the answer was cotton candy, so I went for the protein.  If you think protein is the answer you now have to learn about which proteins will work for you.  Let this be your guide http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html
    (As an aside Wendy is a chemist and does hair analysis, you can order a hair analysis from Etsy and send her some hair).

For my protein I decided to use Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (CNPF) diluted in a spray bottle and would just spray my wonky spot.

If you are low porosity and need intense moisture see this other post from Wendy:  http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

I would suggest reading every post in Wendy's blog, she has tons of useful information about ingredients and it can help you figure out which products to buy.

Good Luck

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Be careful it can send you into a full blown product junkie spiral.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Answers

• K.oskkK.oskk Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    WavyKfromNJ said:

I would suggest reading every post in Wendy's blog, she has tons of useful information about ingredients and it can help you figure out which products to buy.
    I have been reading this blog all day, and wow! Thank you so much for recommending this. I found I had some problems w/ my hair I hadn't even realized were problems! 

Thanks again! 
  • K.oskkK.oskk Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Oh absolutely haha. I was making a list of things to look into and wow it got long. Luckily price helped me shorten it up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file