Tips for methods and products for 3a low porosity fine hair.

ek336605ek336605 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte

Hello!!! I have been following a strict CGM for about 4-5 weeks. At first my hair looked really good but I have been noticing limp, lackluster curls. I was using Cantu Conditioner, however I have switched to the purple NYMN. I am using the Mielle Ginger and Honey Gel along with the pink ECO gel. I like the Mielle but I need another curl enhancer prior to my gel I believe.

I have also tried Deva Curl Arc Angel, KCCC, Aussie, Bounce Curl. I dont know if I need a protein treatment but it scares me to try. I am at a loss because I my hair looks like poo!!

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Maybe you just need to clarify+DT? Even healthy ingredients like emollients and cationic conditioners (BTMS, BTC, etc) will build up over time, and need to be clarified. Try picking up a clarifying shampoo that contains C14-16 olefin sulfonate (Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular choice) and maybe a deep treatment product to follow up with (although you can use your regular CG-friendly conditioner to DT with if you want...just leave it on for 20-30 minutes under a shower cap and maybe some heat). Most people clarify on a schedule between 1x/week and 1x/month, depending on their hair. 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• ek336605ek336605 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you, I have not clarified I only have co-washed so that could be the problem. It gets very overwhelming sometimes!!
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    You're welcome. :) It occurs to me that if you want to go with the Devacurl you already tried, I think they have a clarifying shampoo called Buildup Buster. They also have a moisturizing DT called Melt into Moisture, and a protein DT called Deep Sea Repair (or something like that?). You could try those too.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Naturally_BellaNaturally_Bella Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    This exact same thing happened to me. I clarified with baking soda and ACV. I did a bunch of DIY protein/moisture treatments. What really made my curls spring up was mixing my conditioner or deep conditioner with honey and steaming. My hair had enough protein but was missing the moisture. I've been washing and conditioning with Aussie's miracle shampoo and moisture conditioner. My hair has been super soft. I don't experience matting at the nape and my hair isn't dry anymore. I live in NY this winter was super long, cold and dry. Hope this helps. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks, @Naturally_Bella, for chiming in! Sounds like you've found a good way to beat the blah!  How do you do the steaming process? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file