How to start taking care of my hair type

Mastefrog30Mastefrog30 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
Hi, I am jess and my hair type is 2c/3a. my hair is thin/fine.I am not really sure how to start to take care of my hair. I try to use the Cantu products but it feels too heavy on my hair. My hair dries up very fast in the summer and when I wash it some pieces are dry and frizzy. I do not know what product to really buy. How should I go about this?

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Mastefrog30

Low porosity hair is difficult to get hydrated. On the flip side, fine, low porosity hair can handle more frequent washing. I shampoo+rinseout conditioner my hair everyday to stay caught up on being hydrated. That isn't to say you have to wash daily, but it is one way to accomplish this. If you don't you certainly need a daily routine to keep your hair hydrated. Here is an article with some info about strategies for staying hydrated: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html. She has some product recommendations in that article, and also on her Product Recommendations page (the film-forming humectants lists close to the end): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/product-list-by-category.html

Personally, I have Giovanni Magnetic shampoo/conditioner successfully in the past. I also used Giovanni 50/50, which was ok, but rather drying. I really liked Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus shampoo, conditioner, and style milk for a long time. These seem to benefit a lot of different hair types, I suspect because the silk protein benefits different hair types for different reasons. Some people find these to be weighing down, but I would still suggest them as a first try. SM products are available at Target, so you can return them if they don't work out. But those links above have a lot of good ideas for your to try.

Other than that, try learning what you can about the Curly Girl Method. I learned by reading around nc.com and the newbie section of Curl Talk. Many people started out by reading the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. One of the nc.com co-founders just came out with a new book called Curl Revolution, which has a lot of the best of the best of nc.com, and I think it is also a great place to start. 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Do you know your hair porosity? This combined with your hair width (fine) will help identify what types of products will work. See this link for more info on how to figure it out: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/hair-porosity-how-to-measure-sort-of.html?m=1
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Mastefrog30Mastefrog30 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Bomega I have low porosity 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @Mastefrog30! So glad to have you here at CurlTalk!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file