Switching from diy/ natural products to drugstore products. Help

nu_natural10nu_natural10 Posts: 114Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I can NOT go on buying $20+ bottles of shampoo while my daughter is learning to do her hair. And having Shea Butter shipped to me and all these other oils and clays is expensive so I looking for super cheap products. Don’t mistake how hard this is for me. Tressenticals shampoos are addictive. My hair LOVES my old products. My hair bows down to Shea Moisture deep conditioners and mask but hates their shampoos and cowash. Weird I know. Anyway Garnier Whole Blends no sulfate conditioner Olive Oil is a gift straight from the hair gods but I cannot find a good leave in. I can live with the Garnier shampoo for now. I am going to indulge in having some Anita Grant hair butters mailed to me from time to time. My hair just doesn’t feel the same. Oh and I discovered Shea Moisture kids detangler. My daughter worships this product but she uses 1/2 the bottle at a time. Why is curly hair so expensive? What are the cheap products you can’t go without? 
Shampoo: Terressetials Mud Wash (lavender or lemon)
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Condish
Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil

Best Answers

• Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67 Curl Connoisseur
    edited March 2018 Accepted Answer
    Have you tried the Cantu for natural hair? I love their leave in conditioner as a leave in and styler it is thick and creamy. I heard their deep conditioner is bomb I have not tried that yet. They also have a Cantu kids line as well. 
  • justkaty5justkaty5 Posts: 103 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I second the Cantu suggestion! Everything is like $6, and I haven't had a bad experience yet. They also just launched a salon-inspired line called TXTR. (pronounced texture) exclusive to Ulta. Things in that line are about $10. I haven't tried any of those products yet because they literally launched days ago.
    2c, coarse, normal porosity, medium density, currently shoulder length
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    @nu_natural10

There is nothing wrong with using that is not CG-friendly that your hair is responding to. I would say if you want to, just stick with it and just pay attention to the condition of your hair as you continue using it.

There are many people around curltalk who swear by some non-CG products, with sulfates, silicones, petroleum products, alcohol, whatever. There is a whole thread around here where people talk about how mineral oil saved their hair. I say if your hair likes it, just keep using it...until it doesn't like it anymore.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Many swear by V05 conditioners for co-washing and as a detangler.  I don't know if they are all CG, so read the labels.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Yes VO5 has 2 sulfate and paraben free shampoo & conditioner lines. 1 moisturizing the other strengthening. 
    Ive yet to see any in stores or even online for sale. 
    Ironically the sulfate free line is actually not silicone free. The VO5 Moisture Milks and VO5 Tea Escapes Conditioners are cone-free. I actually really liked the VO5 Pomagranate Conditioner as a rinseout as it was quite conditioning. I only didn't like that it irritated my scalp - I think it is the fragrance. The matching shampoos are all sulfate shampoos, but are cone free. Each formula is a little different, so you might find one that targets what you want.

Suave Essentials Conditioners are all cone free as well. The Suave Tropical Coconut has silk protein in it, giving it a little extra slip. (Again, the shampoos are sulfates).

All of the above are paraben free, very popular for cowashing/conditioning/detangling, and available for around $0.86-$2 (depending on the size) at Target and Walmart.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• nu_natural10nu_natural10 Posts: 114Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    (Runs off to research Cantu products) thanks I remember hearing good things about Cantu. I should have researched Garnier a little better. Someone pointed out that their conditioner has mineral oil in it and the shampoo has sulfate. Ew! But my hair was accepting of it. 
    Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil
    My hair doesn’t react negatively to non cg products but it visibly loves cg products better. With that being said I recently tested the Cantu products on my daughter’s hair. Those under $5 can go up against $20 products can’t tell the difference! Thank y’all so much. 
    Yes VO5 has 2 sulfate and paraben free shampoo & conditioner lines. 1 moisturizing the other strengthening. 
    Ive yet to see any in stores or even online for sale. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file