What happened to my hair?

MarqosiasMarqosias Registered Users Posts: 15 Curl Neophyte
I made this same post years ago with no avail, but maybe now that i know more about my hair maybe someone can help. My hair used to be curly, but for 4 years in my early teens, I flattened it and douse it with wave hair products, I attempted to grow it back at 16 and it was this formless fro. Im 23 now, amd realized my hair only remains curly when after i use my ph balanced nexus shampoo and conditioner. I found out my hair requires acid to curl but the effects do not last long. ive used vinegar and lemon juice for more defined curls and longevity but at the end of the day it reverts back to a formless fro. My hair didnt use to do this. i used to could use any shampoo and conditioner without worrying about it messing up my hair, combing didnt use to yank out my curls, nor did my scalp flake intensely. Where did this change come from? Why do I have to work so hard to keep curls that I did nothing to grow in the first place.

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Whoa!  You've stumped me. It could be your natural pattern has just changed and the acid somehow causes it to curl. The new growth, near your scalp... is it straight? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Marqosias

Welcome to nc.com. Sorry this is happening to you, but the unfortunate part of getting older is stuff like this. First, given you have this new scalp flaking, it is possible there is something going on that you should see a dermatologist or trichologist to figure out. But short of that, you might want to start by learning about the CG Method (we can call it the Curly Guy Method for you :)) and take a look at your products and start by making sure they are CG friendly.

Next, learn your hair properties and make sure you are using products that are compatible with your hair. You can learn about your here properties with the nc.com texture quiz: https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • MarqosiasMarqosias Registered Users Posts: 15 Curl Neophyte
    I do know my hair is a 3C, but the new growth is kind of straight wavy as it lays flat while the longer strands curl or nap up, depending on what I put in it.
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Marqosias

Take a look at that Texture Quiz. When dealing with our curly hair, it is helpful to know the other hair properties, especially hair width (fine, medium, coarse), porosity (low, medium, high), and to some extent density (low, medium, high). These, more than curl type, determine what types of products and techniques are more likely to work with your hair. The nc.com Texture Quiz can help. This article might also help (especially for porosity which is kind of elusive): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-hair-analysis.html
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 92 Curl Connoisseur
    I really do not reccomend you doing that. Yes the hair is naturally more acidic, however, going beyond it's acidic zone causes damage to the cuticle. The reason for why water opens up the cuticle (warm water does this better) is due to how basic in comparison to the hair it is, it also swells and forces the cuticles to open, but besides the point, unless you dilute it using lemon with vinegar is only damaging, anything below 4.5 on the ph scale and you chew away at the cuticle like drying alcohol does.

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    It could be that you have build up and the acid acts like a clarifier.

Try using a clarifying shampoo to see if that helps.

Follow this link to help you figure out if you need more protein or moisture or both:
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • AddeeAddee Registered Users Posts: 412 Curl Connoisseur
    Hair textures can change with age. Also your hair might be damaged as far as elasticity from those treatments. You might consider a big chop with a fresh start if you are comfortable with it. 
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
    No when i pull a strand of my hair out, its curly near the root and straight at the end furthest from my scalp, weird.
    Well i notice my hair has a layer of curls under the layer of formless fro. I also noticed my strands are curly closer to the scalp and straight on the ends. I believe after the moisture begins to dry most of my curls just unravel. I would think it to be a protein issue but i dont deal with alot of breakage and my hair always bounces back to its previous shape when stretched (the strands), whatever the shape may be. Straight, curly or oblong shaped.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file