Dryness struggle?

Tallyboo29Tallyboo29 Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
So most of us know that natural shampoos and conditioners are not as moisturizing—rather what we think is moisture.  Is there anything I can do to help an all natural shampoo be more moisturizing?  So many bottles say they are but my hair ends up feeling so dry.  

Comments

• Tallyboo29Tallyboo29 Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    Derp.  

Use oils. 

I always wondered why everyone was oiling their hair pre-wash.  I thought ppl were just being extra for YouTube.  Nope. They are doing it because natural shampoos are so moisturizing.  
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Tallyboo29

Umm...what do you mean natural shampoos arent as moisturizing? Ive never heard this. The reason I went to them decades ago is because the drug store stuff was too drying. What are you using that is so drying to your hair? Also do you know your hair properties? Perhaps the shampoo has something that isnt compatible with your hair?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Some people complain about coconut oil and shea butter drying out their hair.   You may want to see if you have those ingredients in your products.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    @bomega

i considered that.  I really had.  I knew after a while that coconut oil in high doses make my hair brittle.  So, I switched to an all natural, coconut oil free bar.  It is still not as moisturizing as I need.  I only wash my hair 1x a week...with maybe a simiple conditioner rinse in between.  

I have been dealing with my curly hair for 5 years, right? 

I won’t run down my entire journey here but, what does not irritate/dry out/build up on my scalp makes my hair hard/brittle and break off. That is even conditioners/products which aren’t for you scalp anyway. 

Could it be aloe?! 
    So 
    @bomega

i considered that.  I really had.  I knew after a while that coconut oil in high doses make my hair brittle.  So, I switched to an all natural, coconut oil free bar.  It is still not as moisturizing as I need.  I only wash my hair 1x a week...with maybe a simiple conditioner rinse in between.  

It really would help to know your hair properties and what specific products you are currently using. The hair properties, more than curl type or ethnicity or anything else, are your best clue as to what types of products and techniques will help you hair.

For example, I have low porosity hair, which is known to be difficult to hydrate, but I also have fine hair, which can tolerate more frequent washing. I wash my hair everyday, because it is something that is commonly helpful to fine, low porosity hair. (TBH, I figured out on my own that washing my hair daily seems to work best for it, and then one day a few months ago read that on the Sciency Hair Blog. But it was nice to have the confirmation.) 

You can try the texture quiz to identify your hair properties: https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz
    The Sciency Hair Blog has some guidelines that might help also (especially for porosity): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-hair-analysis.html

In addition, are you saying you have a medical-type scalp problem? Or rather that it behave in a difficult way with certain ingredients (but more discomfort rather than medical)?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I think it has to do with the shampoo formulation. I use Intelligent Nutrients Harmonizing shampoo, which is a natural product, and I find that to be very moisturizing. It is most likely an ingredient in the products you have tried that is an issue (protein, shea butter, silicones).

Shampoo bars can be problematic for the hair. Many of them have a very high pH, which can damage the hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    bomega said:
    @bomega

It really would help to know your hair properties and what specific products you are currently using. The hair properties, more than curl type or ethnicity or anything else, are your best clue as to what types of products and techniques will help you hair.

For example, I have low porosity hair, which is known to be difficult to hydrate, but I also have fine hair, which can tolerate more frequent washing. I wash my hair everyday, because it is something that is commonly helpful to fine, low porosity hair. (TBH, I figured out on my own that washing my hair daily seems to work best for it, and then one day a few months ago read that on the Sciency Hair Blog. But it was nice to have the confirmation.) 

You can try the texture quiz to identify your hair properties: https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz
    The Sciency Hair Blog has some guidelines that might help also (especially for porosity): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-hair-analysis.html

In addition, are you saying you have a medical-type scalp problem? Or rather that it behave in a difficult way with certain ingredients (but more discomfort rather than medical)?

————-

i did not fill my dog out.  
    Woops

low porosity, 
    fine width strands
    medium to high density 
    Type 3 range.
    Corkicelli

i have ruled out coconut oil as one oil I cannot seal or pre-poo with 

I tend to be very light with olive oil as too much fried to make my hair feel a little crispy. 

I really like like the way my hair feels after moisturizing and I try to keep it that way.  But, by the time I try to moisture and seal it’s like my scalp is dry with a layer of sebum. 

i don’t have any medical scalp issues.  
    I was doing some other looking around and sites suggested that I need to balance my scalp.   I have yet to do anything other than a lemon rinsebwhich calmed things (still a little itch here and there—but undon’t Want to wash my hir too much).  

Thank you you for your responses!  

Therese1 said:
    I think it has to do with the shampoo formulation. I use Intelligent Nutrients Harmonizing shampoo, which is a natural product, and I find that to be very moisturizing. It is most likely an ingredient in the products you have tried that is an issue (protein, shea butter, silicones).

Shampoo bars can be problematic for the hair. Many of them have a very high pH, which can damage the hair.

———-

Thank you for your responses! 

I was using Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve (a US brand).  Since, last May.  They are great to travel, the give you a lot and yes, I do have sensitive skin.  They have a coconut free option was was okay for my scalp. But, man....my hair was not as moisturized as I thought.  

Using the Nature’s Gate has been an exercise in fulility.  My hair was so stripped it felt stiff and the conditioner?  Soften—but detangljng evej with my fingers was like no!  

As I have been posting here I am checking products for aloe—I suspect it might be causing the dryness.  

Teeny Updafe:

since last I posted 
    I did a lemon rinse.  I have no idea why my scalp would be so dry beneath sebum.  I assume the scalp had build up!  Though, I only styled by hair a couple of days prior. And nothing I use is supposed to be building up like that.  

LA Looks Sport gel
    Cantu Shea Butter Curling Activating Cream—that is IT! 

This is brings me to something else:

Aloe Vera.  
    I tried Shea Moisture’s Low Porosity Condtioner on the ends of my hair...like a leave in. And wow.   My hair feels pretty dang soft on the ends.  

Checked this product for aloe?  None I can see.

It is possible aloe cannot be high on my ingredient list!  

I’ll check in after a while....

thanks again!   
    @Tallyboo29,

The reason I asked about your hair properties is because these are more closely tied to what will work with your hair than any other attribute. I know you are really against aloe for some reason, but the I'm not convinced that is it. Fine, Low Porosity hair is notorious for having trouble getting moisturized. For more info about this: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

You can see here that aloe can actually be helpful for this problem for the reasons listed in that article. When people complain about aloe it is more often that their hair gets mushy as in over-conditioned. the SM LP Formulas don't have aloe, but they also don't have protein (which is the point of this formula). 

As a side note, I wash my hair everyday because it is the easiest way for me to keep it hydrated. Turns out low porosity hair needs daily moisture, and fine, LP hair has a lower risk of hygral fatigue, and therefore can take it. And other fine, low porosity haired people of many different curl-types have reported the same. You could try starting in with the SM LP line - pick up the shampoo, and detangler and see if you can make it work for you. I usually recommend the Shea Moisture Coconut HIbiscus line for almost everyone looking for a generic product rec, as this line has silk protein in it which benefits many different hair types for different reasons (LP hair gets a film-forming humectant out of it, and as proteins go, this is an easy going one). Maybe use the SM LP shampoo and conditioner plus the SM CH Style Milk, and possibly the Curling Gel Souffle (which many people seem to like).

The oily scalp dry hair is also very common with all curly hair types. With curly hair, the sebum that would moisturize/protect the hair doesn't work its way down the hair shaft as easily. It ends up just sitting around the scalp. Your scalp feels dry because you just washed two days of sebum off with an acid clarifier. It's just doing what it does. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file