Sulfates in Maui Moisture?

amthbt1310amthbt1310 Curl NeophytePosts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
So I'm using Maui Moisture Curl Quench Shampoo to wash my hair. On the bottle it says that there are no sulfate surfactants in this shampoo. But recently I took a closer look at the ingredient list, and more on the bottom of the list, I found "Sodium Sulfate" listed as an ingredient... so there must be sulfates in it, even though they say otherwise on the label, or am I wrong??
I always thought Maui Moisture products were CG approved but now I am confused :confused:

Thank you in advance for any help !

Answers

• bomegabomega Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't see 'sodium sulfate' listed as an ingredient. Fron their website:
    https://www.mauimoisture.com/shop/curl-quench-coconut-oil/shampoo/
    Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Water (Aqua), Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Coco/Isostearamide, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Carica Papaya Fruit Extract, Plumeria Alba Flower Extract, Polyquaternium-10, Polyquaternium-6, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum).
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • amthbt1310amthbt1310 Curl Neophyte Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @bomega there it is... on the bottle :/
    Oh wow...that is so weird! 

Well, I wouldn't worry because usually when we say "avoid sulfates", it is a short-hand to say "avoid certain harsh detergents often found in shampoos like sodium lauryl sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfates, sodium laureth sulfate, etc. whose name end in sulfate". While I'm not sure what 'sodium sulfate' is, I've never seen it referred to as the actual thing to avoid. Also, it is very low on the list, in with the preservatives, so even it it was one of those detergents, it is a very small amount.

I would be more concerned that it sort of seems like you might have a knock-off, which would be a problem it it has things in it that are not listed on the label.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• amthbt1310amthbt1310 Curl Neophyte Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I bought it at a german drugstore.. This really does confuse me a little bit now, it's really weird that they would sell knock offs there.. maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's Europe and not USA? hmmm... 
    @bomega I took a look at the official website, and the drugstore I bought it at is listed as one of their official retailers for Germany. So I don't think that it is a knock off.  
    @amthbt1310, That's good. It could be a formula change, or like you suggested maybe the EU version is different. You could try contacting them if you are concerned. I remember another curltalker recently noticed a difference with Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus ingredients between the website and the product she bought and they assured her that the label on the bottle was the accurate one. They had changed the formula, but had not changed the website yet because the change was recent enough that there was still a lot of old stock out in the wild.

• Therese1Therese1 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wouldn't worry about it. As @bomega pointed out, the sulfate is almost at the bottom of the ingredients list, which means there is hardly any of it in the product.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • KataliyaKataliya Curl Neophyte Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Hi gorgeous women

How cool is this, that there is a forum for women about hair. So thank you for having me here :)

I am from Denmark, so sorry if there's spelling flaws.

For +4 years now I’ve had dry skin with dandruff by my ears. I know it’s because there is something in the hair products, that’s not good for me.

I eat very clean. Organic home made food, no additives, sugar etc.  But even if I change from one organic shampoo to another, nothing changes. Organic conditioner too. One argan oil I can use but another. It´s weird. I don’t use hair-mouse or anything, because I’ too sensitive. 

I’m not stressed as I work with mindfulness, but I am becoming more and more sensitive to what I eat and especially what skin-care and hairproducts I use.

My question is this – this Maui shampoo https://www.matas.dk/maui-coconut-oil-shampoo-385ml Contains “Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate”  do I have to avoid this sodium sulfonate or is it okay with type 3a hair? :)

Thank you for your time and help <3

• rabarrabar Curl Connoisseur Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Sodium sulfate is not a surfactant, so their label is technically correct.  It is a salt of sodium and sulfate ions (sodium (Na) is a positive ion and sulfate (SO4) is a negative ion), and probably in the formula for the same reason as the sodium chloride (which is also a salt, and may be in there as a preservative or curl enhancer).  When we hear to avoid sulfates in hair care products, they specifically are talking about the harsher surfactants, such as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate, etc.  It's a little misleading to say "avoid sulfates" when they don't specify what kinds of sulfates.  Just because a chemical has the word sulfate in it doesn't mean it will damage our hair, and I wish people writing books and articles would clarify that for people who don't have a background in inorganic chemistry!

Hope that helps :)
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    To add to the confusion (and this older thread), Behentrimonium Methosulfate is good for your hair despite the name and is not a sulfate surfactant.
  • rabarrabar Curl Connoisseur Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file