My hair suddenly lost definition

nikkyariananikkyariana Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 24 Curl Novice
edited February 2018 in Information for Newbies
Hey guys!
My hair has lost a loooooot of volume + definition ever since I started cowashing. Do you think it's related? 
What should I do to get my volume and definition back?
Also, my haircut's straight and I booked with my hairdresser to cut it with some layers, so I think that might help?
Thank you so much!

Edit: and so sorry for the wrong category, I'm still a noob in this haha

Best Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Answer ✓
    I think the first step should be a clarifying wash.  Cowashing does not work for everybody.  Personally I think it is a good idea to use a low poo occasionally.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited February 2018 Answer ✓
    I agree that co-washing isn't for everyone. My hair also gets weighed down from it. I low-poo, followed by rinseout conditioner every day, contrary to what is recommended by the strict CG Method. 

You can clarify by using any sulfate that doesn't contain silicones. But ideally, you should look for a sulfate-free shampoo that contains C14-16 olefin sulfonate. Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular choice, and you can order from iherb.com, which ships internationally. It is good to following a clarifying shampoo with a deep treatment. You can use your regular conditioner as a DT. Just apply, the put on a shower cap and give it some heat (a wash cloth warmed with hot water is fine). Maybe wrap in a towel. Leave on for 20-30 minutes then rinse. If you can find one you like you can also use a specific DT product.

A haircut with some layers can help. I would be careful though - not all hair dressers really know how to put layers into curly hair. Make sure it is someone you trust to cut your hair.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Answer ✓
    Either your hair is overmoisturized or else you have build-up (even Curly Girl products will build up). I know that the commonly held belief is that all curly hair is horribly dry and needs moisture, but some people's hair doesn't need as much moisture as others'. 

I would try doing a sulfate-free poo to see if that restores your volume. Going forward, you could co-wash until you feel your hair isn't responding well anymore and then do a sulfate-free poo. Or you could just switch to sulfate-free poo for all wash days, except maybe in extremely dry weather, when the hair could use extra moisture, in which case you could co-wash.

If you want a stronger clarifying poo, you could try the Kinky-Curly Come Clean recommended by @bomega. I have found that that pretty much gets everything off.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Answers

• nikkyariananikkyariana Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 24 Curl Novice
    @WavyKfromNJ so I should cowash and once a week use a sulfate free shampoo? How should I clarify??
  • nikkyariananikkyariana Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 24 Curl Novice
    edited February 2018
    @bomega Thank you very much, I will do that! I actually just cut my hair in layers and it looks stunning, but I got really pissed of at the woman who cut it, I also just posted about it! haha

@Therese1 yes I think I was actually using too much conditioner, because my hair is reaaaaally healthy, and I thought it still needed a lot. Will try to lower the quantity!

Thank you both for helping me out! :smiley:
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    When you clarify is personal.  If you think you have buildup, then do it.  There are also many clarifying shampoos available.  
    https://shop.naturallycurly.com/shampoos/clarifying-shampoos/
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file