Male curly hair, don't know what to do

philosopherkingphilosopherking Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
I am a 22 white male with extremely curly hair and I don't know what to do with it. I didn't post this in any of the specific forums for hair types because I don't know what curl type I have as I have never seen anyone with hair similar to mine. My hair naturally has very tight curls that are dry and brittle. There is also no consistent curl pattern, different curls are each unique. I am currently putting pomade into my hand and then running it through my hair with my fingers.

The reason I am posting on here is that I go to college somewhere very cold and so I am wearing beanies some days to class. Anyways, when I take off my beanie I have noticed that my hair is completely different. It is typically much straighter or the curls are much more relaxed, and the curl pattern is much more uniform. Essentially, my hair looks like it has an actual style.

I am trying to figure out a way to achieve both of these goals: looser curls and a more uniform look. As for the uniformity, I am thinking some kind of comb or brush. I have had both in the past, but the comb was way too wide for my hair, and the brush isn't wide enough. I don't really know what I could do for relaxing my hair. I am open minded toward some sort of treatment, but it would need to be something I could do at home.

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  I'm not too sure what to suggest.  Are you using conditioner?  That'll help with the dryness and brittleness.  Do you use gel?  You might want to add gel to wet hair, comb it the way you want it to lay, then let it air dry.  It'll be hard and crunchy when it's dry (which no one wants) so then run your fingers through until the cast breaks up and your hair feels nice and looks good.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  You could try sleeping in a beanie so your hair looks the way you like it in the morning! :)

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • edbobb20edbobb20 Registered Users Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    I would try Cantu's Men line. They have a nice leave-in conditioner with a nice scent to it. It keeps my hair moisturized. In conjunction with a good hair oil. 
  • philosopherkingphilosopherking Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone for the input. What kind of comb should I buy? And is there any product or treatment I could use to relax my hair at home?
    edbobb20 said:
    I would try Cantu's Men line. They have a nice leave-in conditioner with a nice scent to it. It keeps my hair moisturized. In conjunction with a good hair oil. 
    Good tip!  So glad you've found a product that works for you!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Thanks everyone for the input. What kind of comb should I buy? And is there any product or treatment I could use to relax my hair at home?
    You want a wide-toothed comb, like this one. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file