Can protective styling and heat cause thinning and a looser curl pattern?

Dijah_DesireeDijah_Desiree Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I’ve noticed recently that my curls have been getting noticeably looser over time. I’m aware that your curls can change the longer your hair gets, but I definitely don’t think this is the reason for me. I’ve never really known my hair type, but before experiencing this loosening/thinning, I believe my hair was about a 3c-4a possibly. I keep my hair in twists 99% of the time for weeks at a time (taking them down to wash and re-twisting) And I’m starting to straighten my hair more. Maybe 2-3 times a year, verses me NEVER using heat at all. So I recently noticed my strands are a lot looser and thinner compared to the roots of my hair which are tighter and thicker. I’m not sure why this is happening and what caused it exactly, but any insight would really help and also any tips on what I could do to fix it would be great. I also have pictures attached l, so you can see exactly what I’m talking about.
there’s e pictures is what my hair used to look like, and pictures of my hair current wet and dry so you can see the obvious difference in texture 

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,352 Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 18 Accepted Answer
    I'm really not an expert on curl typing but I would guess 3c.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Dijah_Desiree, Welcome to nc.com. As I understand it, really the only way you can permanently change hair texture is through chemical processes. It is possible that curl pattern changes over time due to hormonal changes, and hair also can become thin  (hair width) due to hormonal or health issues. However, looking at your photos, I wonder if you are actually experiencing hair loss? This can also be due to hormonal changes, but more like imbalances, rather than normal life changes. It can also be caused from nutritional deficiencies, or health issues. Have you seen a dermatologist about this?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• Dijah_DesireeDijah_Desiree Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited February 21
    I haven’t consulted anyone yet because I didn’t know this change could possibly be from a imbalance of some sort. I also want to ask, is it possible for hair to thin or become looser with excessive use of paddle brushes and Denman brushes? I’ve been using a paddle brush on my hair for about 9 months to a year, around the same time I started to notice this “texture change” I’ve also noticed how much hair I was loosing with the brush, when would detangle in the shower or even out of the shower. Can this be a factor? And if it is, how can you reverse it? @bomega
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,496Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome, @Dijah_Desiree !  Your hair is gorgeous! 
    Do you use the Denman to get rid of tangles? Would leave-in conditioner and a wide-toothed comb work instead? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Dijah_DesireeDijah_Desiree Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @Gretchen
    Yes, I was using the Denman and Paddle Brush to get rid of tangles, along with conditioner. I stopped using a wide tooth comb since the paddle brush was a lot quicker and easier. And then with constant use, I noticed the change in my curls and I couldn’t go back to using a wide tooth comb since my roots were so thick and my ends were looser, it would create more tangles. Is there anyway I could reverse this by using a wide tooth comb again and maybe some protein treatments? Of would I be better off cutting the looser hair? 
    I haven’t consulted anyone yet because I didn’t know this change could possibly be from a imbalance of some sort. I also want to ask, is it possible for hair to thin or become looser with excessive use of paddle brushes and Denman brushes? I’ve been using a paddle brush on my hair for about 9 months to a year, around the same time I started to notice this “texture change” I’ve also noticed how much hair I was loosing with the brush, when would detangle in the shower or even out of the shower. Can this be a factor? And if it is, how can you reverse it? @bomega
    Ok, looking again at your photos I think I can see what you mean. Do you mean, for example in the photo with the black t-shirt, the hair from about the tip of your chin down is a looser curl pattern? And that the overall volume is less? (All this compared to the first snapchat photo).

If that is what you meant by the curl pattern change, well, I just watched in interview with Lorraine Massey who insisted brushing, combing, even handling dry can damage the hair. But I'm still not sure that is going on with your, especially if you are doing it wet and carefully. Hair also changes in porosity as it grows, because the hair at the ends has been around longer, therefore exposed to environmental factors longer than hair at the root. If it is a porosity change, sometimes protein treatment, or protein products on that area can help. But honestly, I have to strain to see a problem with your curl pattern. Maybe others can chime in - I'm not sure there is a problem, so I can't advise exactly how to deal with it.

I can see a volume change with your hair. Do you think there has been an increase in shedding between the two pictures? (Not to be confused with just a change in perception of shedding due to being more diligent with detangling). If you think there is, there can be a number of factors that are the cause: thyroid hormone imbalance, female hormone imbalance, mineral deficiencies (which may cause a hormonal imbalance). Has there been a change in your diet in the past year? Have you noticed any other health type symptoms (maybe minor)? (You don't have to answer any of this here - just ask your self).

If you think there is shedding due to a health issue, I would start by talking to the doctor to rule out the things that take a blood test. If everything checks out, you could try this caffeine spray I read about on the Sciency Hair Blog (see item 2): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2017/02/scientifically-tested-over-counter.html.

I do a tea spray with 1 green tea bag/pint distilled water or 1 black tea bag/quart distilled water for an approximation of the concentration she lists. You can use the caffeine capsules she recommends too. 

@bomega
    The Snapchat photo and the photo with the black shirt were taken approximately two months apart, and in that time I have seen a huge increase in the amount of shedding. I can also say, that I could possibly be a little more gentle when detangiling as well. I’ll definitely take your advice about the blood work and try out a protein treatment as well, and I’ll also look into that link you left me. Have you ever used of heard of the Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment? And if you have used it, do you mind sharing your experience with the product? I’m thinking about giving it a try.
    edited February 21
    Now-a-days, my hair is protein sensitive, so no, I haven't. :/

But I think when only part of your hair is high porosity, it is more helpful to use styling products with protein on just that part. 
    Another idea might be you do a conditioning masque on your whole hair, and add-on a protein-containing masque on the ends.

The Sciency Hair Blog has an Intro to Protein article you might like: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html

@bomega
    thank you! I’ll definitely give that a try.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 362Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A really nice protein treatment is Curl Junkie's Repair Me. Its a moisture treatment as well so no need to dc afterwards. It has helped keep my fine hair popping and i have less breakage which can definitely cause thin / wimpy ends. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
    @bomega I also wanted to ask this as well, by looking at the photos I’ve posted, and seeing as how you have a lot of knowledge when it comes to natural hair, what do you believe my hair type is? I know there’s different factors that go into hair typing, but just from looks, what do you think? My hair is so versatile, it’s hard for me to pinpoint exactly what category I fall under for the past 4 years, so I’m open to any opinions.
  • AdorajAdoraj Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Im late to the conversation but heating can definitely change your curl pattern. I would say that isn't the reason your is changing since you don't do it often. The front of my hair no longer naturally curls. As for thinning you may have a vitamin deficiency but def make an appointment with a dermatologist before it's too late. The increased shedding is a big sign something isn't right. Also, do you detangle starting with the ends?
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,269Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    There is a recipe for a gelatin protein treatment on the Science-y Hair Blog if you would like to try that. I think it's worth doing a protein treatment first to see if that fixes the problem.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • KaylinKaylin Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hi I have this same problem! your hair is beautiful by the way...I heard aphogee is very good have you tried it yet? I'm going to give it a try. And could anyone help me figure out my texture.I have looe and tight curls
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,496Administrators, Moderators Administrator

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @bomega our curl patterns change to another curl pattern oh no! 😮

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file