Hair fibres

StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,080Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
Not sure if that's what they're called, I'm thinking about Toppik and suchlike. Has anyone tried them? Some days I think my hair doesn't look too bad (the thinning) but other days I'm mortified by how bad it looks. Seriously considering giving one of these products a try but am a bit worried about them looking fake and also the colour matching - very much limited now by my grey.
When I saw a derm many moons ago she put some Toppik in my hair and showed me in the mirror, I thought it looked ok but then when I got home and looked properly it looked pretty bad. I think her application was a bit off though, so I'm thinking it could look better if I took more care with it.
Anyone experience anyone?
3b in South Australia.

Comments

• ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 6
    @Starmie, I am only now seeing this discussion. I don't have personal experience but I am not a fan of the way the Toppik looks. Like you say, it just looks fake. There is a youtube video showing how to apply it, etc. and even there, it looks strange to me. I suspect that in the light of day it might look even worse.

I do know how you feel on the days when thinning is more obvious. Wish there was a magic pill we could take but all we can do is pay attention to what we eat, try and reduce our stress, stay active, and be kind to our hair.....no dyes, heat, etc. This, in my opinion, can stop the thinning from getting worse.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,080Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for chiming in ellaj. I haven't looked any further into it, I'm worried it will maybe look ok to me at home, but then look awful in the cold light of day, and then what do I do? Just have to put up with it until I can get home, don't think that's going to work well! We have fluoro lights at work and that's where I feel most paranoid about the thinning, probably where fibres would look most obvious too, such a pain. I had a very low ferritin levels some years ago, no idea how long it was an issue before I was diagnosed, and I think that's where the problem may have originated. Thankfully it seems to have stopped getting any worse, but nor has it got any better even with a good diet etc. Just need to manage it the best I can, as you say.
    3b in South Australia.
    You are welcome @Starmie. Good to hear that the thinning seems to have stopped getting worse. <3

I tell myself that it is what it is and keep doing my best to take care of my health and treat my hair with plenty of TLC.

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,329Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't know anything about this product, but if you do try it, maybe you could go to a mall with a friend and have her assess how the different lighting in the different stores makes your hair look. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    That's not a bad idea Therese. Though maybe I could try it at work with the couple of colleagues that I know I can trust to tell me the truth!
    3b in South Australia.
    edited March 9
    That is a good idea, @Starmie. It could be that you will end up liking the product. You won't know for sure unless you give it a try.

True, but I'm wavering now lol! Feel like I'll just be wasting money again.
    3b in South Australia.
    I agree, @Starmie. Over the years I have spent far too much money on questionable hair products, especially all the coloring services, YIKES!  :/

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,556Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    My friend uses one of those and she likes it. Just fyi. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Do you think it looks ok Gretchen?
    3b in South Australia.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,556Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I do. Because I'm not up close examining her scalp. From a distance (like a normal speaking distance), you just see brown (her hair color) and not big patches of scalp which it what you would see otherwise, she says. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Good to know, thanks Gretchen. 
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file