How should I possibly start this hair routine

edmanshandenedmanshanden Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hey guys, 
I'm a 3B curly girl and I want to take care of my hair. So I did some research and I found out that there are a lot of different things you have to do!!!! I have no idea how to start and which steps I have to take first and what is good for your hair. Oh, and there are tons and tons of different hair products and I have no idea which are good for my hair and do the best work. So what I would like to know is how do you guys do your hair routine, like what sort of steps do you take and which products you use. Also I would like to know how you keep your curls so beautiful on day two and three. I really hope you guys can help me. Thanks a lot.

Lots of love, 

Best Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 207 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Hi, I started this journey by watching YouTube's with similar hair types. For 3b, check out Dana Marie. Definitely start by following the curly girl method by Lorraine Massey. The basics are no sulfate, silicone, or drying alcohols. The name of the game is  moisture, so that is your top priority. I'm sure others will point to a beginners thread in a bit which will help you as well.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352 Curl Virtuoso
    edited February 13 Accepted Answer
    Yeah, I learned a lot on the Newbie section here at curltalk and also reading articles around naturallycurly.com. When I was starting out I also visited a lot of the blogs recommended in the newbie section and I really liked Rockyn Curls' blog. Since then I have learned a lot from the Sciency Hair Blog, which I love: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/

A lot of people learned a lot from Lorrainne Massey's book. Michele Breyer, a co-founder of nc.com also just came out with a book: Curl Revolution, which I think is a good read. :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    One more thing: maybe start by identifying your other hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). These will go a long way to identifying what types of hair products and techniques will work for your hair.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • paolarodriguezpaolarodriguez Posts: 31 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    Naturally Curly definitely saved my hair. I learned everything I know about my hair here. It can be overwhelming. If you haven't, you should start by following the Curly Girl method. Use a sulfate shampoo one last time (or use a clarifying treatment, such as DevaCurl Buildup Buster). Then begin using a cowash or a sulfate free shampoo. Use silicone free conditioners. For styling, personally I get away with only using the DevaCurl Arcangel Gel, but maybe for 3B you could use a leave-in as well. 
    Shampoo: Function of Beauty Custom Formula
    Conditioner: Function of Beauty Custom Formua, Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex
    Deep Conditioner: Devacurl Heaven in Hair, Devacurl Deep Sea Repair
    Styling: Devacurl Ultra Defining Gel or Devacurl Arcangel Gel. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file