Detangling issue :s

.coconut..coconut. Posts: 11Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hey! 
My hair tangles a lot and its very hard to do a pre poo/ deep condition before washing my hair because i cant really spread the product thorought my hair (I detangle when i use the conditioner after shampooing my hair) I tought about using some oil before washing my hair but it seems like puting oil in my hair when he is dry just dryes it out more  :/
How do you do???

Best Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,507 Curl Virtuoso
    edited February 9 Accepted Answer
    You might have to do some experimenting with different oils to find one that works for you. My hair loves coconut oil and I pre-poo/deep treat with it often. I don't bother detangling when putting the oil in my hair. I just separate a couple big sections and run my hands down the length of my hair.  I also have tangly hair and it does take some time to detangle when washing. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 816 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I would recommend reading this blog:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2017/11/is-this-oil-good-for-my-hair.html

She has several posts about about oil and hair.  She has a lot of great information about hair and hair products.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 568 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    If oils don't seem to work for you as a pre-poo, try just using conditioner. Dampen your hair with a water bottle & slather on the conditioner. I keep an el-cheapo conditioner around just for this purpose. When you get in the shower, rinse it out, and proceed as normal.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Well, I commit one of the crimes against curly hair of combing dry (before my shower). But my hair isn't overly tangled and I could detangle in the shower with shampoo if I wanted to. 

Have you tried a detangler like Kinky Curly Knot Today before shampooing? KCKT has a lot of slip but is light-weight so it might work for you. I would say use it in the shower with wet hair. This in combination with using something like the Tangle Teezer might work well for you too.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 306 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Are you married to applying a pre-poo? Perhaps you could leave this out of your regimen is it is difficult to apply to unwashed hair. 

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL

Answers

• Kinky Curly-Coily MeganKinky Curly-Coily Megan Posts: 67Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    When this happened to me before I used vo5 and oils to detangle because I waited to late to wash my hair. It was a tangle mess but when I did this my hair was praising Jesus lol! 
  • dsch1207dsch1207 Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have the same tangle woes. My advice would be to detanagle EVERY DAY. I know it takes a lot of time but your hair will thank you. You don’t have to wash every day but just detangle with some conditioner and your fingers (or wide tooth comb) and then style as usual. I know this won’t work for everyone but thus far, it’s worked wonders for me.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,400Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair tangles, too.  I use a Detangle brush brushing from the ends up when it is dry.  I rarely use shampoo & just use a conditioner.  I use my fingers to work it thru.  After I rinse I spray in No More Tangles for kids.  It helps a lot.  If it starts tangling during the day I will detangle with my fingers. 
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file