Shopping tomorrow, product recs for fine, thin hair?

lorraineg57lorraineg57 Posts: 13Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm a newb trying to figure out how to go CG. I have 2b fine, thin, porous hair. 
I have Biotera 5 in 1 cleansing conditioner here but I believe it has silicone in it. With my hair being so fine and thin, I'm hesitant to co-wash unless I can get recs for lighter products as heavy seems to weigh my hair down. I've been using Sulfate Free shampoo when I do shampoo for awhile.
The only thing I have on my list for sure is the LA Looks Sport Gel as I read here that it may work better for me than curl cream (which I've been using).
So, I guess I'm asking for product recs for a conditioner for cleansing (or should I not be co washing with thin hair)? Also any recs for a leave-in that works well for fine, thin hair?
Drugstore items if possible since I don't know yet what products I'll be sticking with.

Off topic but how do I get this site to STOP saving drafts of everything I type?

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use Living Proof Restore.  You could try their "Full" Line.  I know it is not a drugstore item, but if you buy it at Ulta or Sephora you can return it.

My fine hair did not like co-washing, but I may not have tried the right products.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • lorraineg57lorraineg57 Posts: 13Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you! I'm trying to search online for DS products that are silicone free and my eyes are rolling back in my head....🙄 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Thank you! I'm trying to search online for DS products that are silicone free and my eyes are rolling back in my head....🙄 
    I have felt like that too.  I read one post and start searching for a product, then another post has me on the hunt for something else.  This website feeds your inner product junkie.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I currently use the Alaffia products in my sig, but they are hard to find on the ground. But before I started using them, I was using Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner and Style Milk. My hair loved them, and they seem to work for many different hair types. These may be available at a drug store, but the are at Target.

Cowashing doesn't work for me either, but if you want to stick with cowashing, Suave Essentials, VO5 Herbal Escape, and VO5 Moisture Milk conditioners are CG-friendly, popular with cowashers, readily available for cheap.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Thanks! 
    Walmart has carol's daughter hair milk leave in conditioner.  They may have SheaMoisture as well. I'll check when I'm there.
    I may try l'oreal's evercurl cleansing balm, it's supposed to be sulfate and silicone free. I don't know if it will be any different than the biotera cleansing conditioner I already have....
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,404Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If your hair is fine, you might like the SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion line, which was designed for fine hair. This would be a sulfate-free poo and rinse-out conditioner. I hope it's still around...I haven't heard people mention it lately.

For a leave-in, you could try the As I Am leave-in. Since your hair is fine, a little will go a long way. The Alaffia Wavy Beautiful Curls leave-in is worth a try too--you would find it probably at a Whole Foods-type store or co-op.

For leave-in, I perosnally use the Curl Junkie Beauticurls, but that's available only online. It's very light and doesn't leave the hair greasy. 

As far as co-washing vs. low poo with fine hair, I think it depends on the hair and the co-wash. If your hair is porous, it might do OK with co-washing. I would co-wash if you think that it's working for you, and then I would use a sulfate-free poo every other week or so to get rid of any build-up (all products can build up on the hair, even those without silicones; it just takes longer).

One co-wash that didn't leave my hair greasy was the Oribe Cleansing Creme for Moisture and Control. It is an expensive product, but it works very well.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I picked up Cantu hold and shine spray. I've only tried it once and I think I used too much. I THINK the Biotera cleansing conditioner is sulfate/silicone free? I'll definitely try to find those you've suggested since they seem to be formulated for fine hair. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file