You're not "4c"/Hair typing is dead

nohairtypenohairtype Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
I've been natural since I was a freshman in high school but only in the last year and a half have I learned to care for my hair. I look at videos on YouTube about how to do styles on type 4 hair and if a girl has the tiniest bit of curl people in the comments are quick to say the person isn't 4c. My point being who cares? If you learn your hair and moisturize it, it will produce a curl and be healthy. And most people have more than 1 hair type so... 😕😶 

Thoughts on this? 

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Agree!  I wish the whole hair typing thing would die down. But people seem so concerned to figure it out. Don’t know what good it does once you figure it out.  
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • QuoththeRavenQuoththeRaven Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    I agree, everyone seems so eager to know. Hair care derives more from other factors rather than hair type. Something that works for one CG of one type won't always work for another of a similar type. So I say, just worry about what yor hair is trying to tell you then go from there. And cant we apreciate every "type" and agree that healthy hair, whether it's straight or kinky, is beautiful?
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    And cant we apreciate every "type" and agree that healthy hair, whether it's straight or kinky, is beautiful?
    I agree 100%!  

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • lawlaw Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Connoisseur
    I think that if you take care of you hair, and it looks a little curly or has some kind of conformity people dub you  "Not 4C". I have 4C hair but when it is threaded, twisted, twist out ...ect (anything that is not a wash and go) people say it is not 4C. Trust it really is, but since it looks "put together" ...... They expect 4C to be an unmanageable dry mess. If it is not then it is not 4C:/  
    "You Tied that thing up outside?" said Kepler. "What if he got hungry and ate a mailman or a kindergarten class or something? The least you could do is tie a decent knot." Metzger's Dog by Thomas Perry
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    I like hair typing for informational purposes but I think it goes too far sometimes. It has been helpful knowing that my hair is Type 3 but I don't necessarily find it helpful or even care much whether it's 3a or 3b or 3c. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file