CurlTalk

Has anyone ever permed their wavy hair?

I'm beginning to think that no matter what products I put on my hair I will never have those nice curls I long for. My mom's stylist said something about perming my hair loosely to give it a more structured curl. Has anyone ever done this and would rec it? Thanks!

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I did it when I was younger and strongly recommend that you don't do it. My hair just ended up frizzier and damaged with curls that were too uniform.

I do understand how you feel about your wavy hair. I felt that way for the longest time. Now, I just accept that my hair will never be anything other than wavy at best.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,477Registered Users
    I did it when I was younger and strongly recommend that you don't do it. My hair just ended up frizzier and damaged with curls that were too uniform.

Ditto. I would perm my hair, then wonder why the heck I'd done it. It was always a mass of frizz.

For me, I would rather be a PJ to get 3A curls than ever perm my hair again. I'm even happy when I get the kind of waves I want - I think waves can be just as gorgeous as curls. And I've seen curls that frankly, I'd never trade my mostly wavy hair for :lol:!
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB
  • cunninghamaircunninghamair Posts: 176Registered Users
    I was very lucky--at a young age a hairstylist said, "Don't ever perm your hair. It takes curl too easily." My hair is wavy 2b/3a and I'm happy to live with that, in search of the perfect combination.
    Modified CG since 9/03. 2B/3A. JESSICURL!!! Gentle Poo, Aloeba, Gelebration, Awe; or Mop Top Poo & Condish; Curlisto Mousse & Gel I. Winter: Elucence MB Clarify, Shampoo & Conditioner. ACV & honey rinses. Plop & Pixiecurl diffuse. Password: curls
  • GiveMeABMWGiveMeABMW Posts: 219Registered Users
    Don't do it! My mother had my curly hair permed at age 8, and it just gave me frizz. Plus I was the only 8 year old with split ends and chemical damage in the neighborhood.
    What's working this week:
    Shower: Garnier 3x Nutrition shampoo 1x per week, cowash with Tres Semme Naturals, condition with
    GF Sleek and Shine deep conditioner
    Styling: Tres Semme Naturals as leave in, L'Oreal Melting gel and HE SMU raked in, LOOB and AG Re:Coil scrunched in, Jojoba Oil scrunched in when totally dry
    :toothy4: 3B
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 273Registered Users
    What CelticMoonDance said. Well, unless you use big perm rods. I used medium and had 3B/3C. Didn't look right on me.
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella