Products for hold that provide softness and that do not create rough feeling?

ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Im wondering if the polymers in my hold products (PVP and the like) are causing my hair to feel rough. It would stand to reason that the polymers are what creates gel cast, so by nature of what they do, they are coating my strands and drying and causing a rough feeling. Ive used too much gel by accident which makes the clumps stay wet looking even after they've dried and SOTC'd. Ive experimented using a small amount and then I don't get much hold at all. Maybe I need a PVP hold product with a silicone? I'm getting so many after-shower products chasing the elusive softness its ridiculous! I am now using a leave-in, a curl enhancer, a silicone serum, a mousse sometimes, and a gel! All in different order hoping to stumble on something that works. Geez!

Are there any hold products that do not cause this? Any ingredients to look for that hold as well as PVP and the usual polymers, but that do not cause a rough feeling or wet look on the hair? Any that can acutally result in providing softness? 
CG since 11/2014
Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
Low density, very coarse, high porosity
Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
Protein: Hask Keratin
Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i don't know a lot about gels, but i can share what i have been using for the past few weeks with great results. 
    on marsha's advice, i mix cj pattern pusha with cj ciab, 50/50, in my hands, then rake in, scrunch.  i get curl definition and softness, no crunch.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rbb said:
    i don't know a lot about gels, but i can share what i have been using for the past few weeks with great results. 
    on marsha's advice, i mix cj pattern pusha with cj ciab, 50/50, in my hands, then rake in, scrunch.  i get curl definition and softness, no crunch.
    I purchased the stylers sample set last week from curl junkie website, but still waiting on it to ship. I'll see how it goes.

I tried using aloe gel again instead of LALooks and that did absolutely nothing for softness or hold. Ive been recommended flax seed gel, so Im on the lookout for that pre-made online for reasonably cheap. And I have a creamy mousse with coconut oil, shea butter, castor oil, and some PVP and that does nothing for softness or hold. I even tried a silicone heavy smoothing serum and that didnt really do anything either. 
    I can't figure out why nothing in the world softens my hair or holds the clumps together!
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love aloe fix in mid dew points.  Too much glycerin for my hair in winter.    So maybe try it again in spring. 

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file