2nd day hair is driving me crazy!

MissMilaMissMila Posts: 45Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
So I just had my hair cut and my hair is so much nicer now! No more thin dead strands hanging down my shoulders ;) 
I have a very good routine now as well to make my hair look great after I wash it and it holds all day as well which is great. I still havent figured out what to do with my hair on the 2nd day though. 
When I get up I spray some water and conditioner on and reform the curls and it actually looks almost as good as the day before. But it just doesnt hold. After a while the hair in the back on the top starts clumping weirdly and makes it look messy. Adding more conditioner makes it look oily and without leave-in conditioner I cant form the curls properly. I have tried hairspray but that made no difference at all except drying out my hair (was an old one I still had and not curl friendly, but I was desperate).
I zoomed the pic a bit so you can see what i mean on the top in the middle:

Its always that same spot, otherwise my hair would be fine for 3-4 days -.-

Anyways, I am wondering if a curl cream would give my hair better hold and Im after suggestions, because I have no idea which kind could work for me.
i think my curl type is 2c-3a
medium porosity
low density
my hair is very fine and thin but the curls give it a lot of volume (when i plop the short hair it stands outwards horizontally afterwards :))

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @MissMila, ummm...I don't see a problem. If that's your second day hair, well, I'd take it as my first day hair.  But certainly keep experiment to see how you can change your look.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • MissMilaMissMila Posts: 45Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the reply!
    Well, maybe if it was someone elses hair I also wouldnt see a problem. I tend to be very critical with my own ;)
    it just seems that the curls on the top middle part curl in a way that shows parts of my scalp. I have very little hair and its thin, so its very hard to ‘arrange it’ in a way tht covers my entire scalp when its curled. And on the first day that works fine because it stays the way I arranged it, but on the second day the curls dont hold and move to a point where they make parts of my scalp visible, so im constantly trying to reform it and touch it to make sure its still ok, which obviously doesnt make things better because then it just gets frizzy from all the touching.
    I just need to find a product that holds my hair in place for an entire day! Haha
    Oh ok! :) Ok when I zoomed all the way in I could see. But I know what you mean - I have a spot near where I part my hair that I have to manage also.

So, you have fine, med porosity low density hair. What products are you using - especially in your first day routine but also that leavein refresher? 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair is beautiful! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Thanks Gretchen!

I wash with Devacurl conditioner and I have the Kinky Curly Leave in conditioner. On the first day i usually just put the devacurl conditioner and also put some of that afterwards to leave in. I tried the kinky curly to see if it makes a difference and i prefer it as leave in on day 1 but for day 2 its still not good enough. Unless i keep putting it in and rearranging my hair. It makes my hair look nice, but doesnt hold it in place, if you know what i mean.
    You could try a curl cream on your day 1 to be refreshed on day 2. the Kinky Curly Control Custard is a very popular choice. You could also try a using a hard hold gel. It *might* do what you need to do. It might sound contradictory, but using HHG, the scrunch-out-the-crunch, produced well-formed curls and frizz control for many curlies. This is often refreshable, but you will have to just try it to see if it does what you need it to do. I don't have much experience with this, but LA Looks Sports Gel (blue) is a very popular one (although it has a paraben in it) and so is Ecostyler gel (be sure to get the new formula without TEA). Both of these are very inexpensive.

Both of these solutions tend to be to address curl formation or frizz, so I'm not sure it will do. The idea though is hopefully it will be more cooperative on day 2, but using a gel or curl cream. You could also experiment with using a clip and diffusing it, to try to encourage it to lie a certain way on day 2. Or maybe try very gently teasing it so it isn't so solidly clumped to it self in the area you want it to cover.

Thanks for your help! Will try the gel and see how it goes!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    MissMila said:
    Thanks for your help! Will try the gel and see how it goes!
    Keep us posted!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • CND curlyCND curly Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Maybe you have a natural swirl on the crown that doesn’t appear until day 2?
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair looks like mine. I think part of the issue is that you probably have a colic back there that shows up once the curls droop a bit (like @CND curly suggested). When I have this problem, I mist that section lightly and then take a couple of clips and clip hair together from both sides of the bald spots and let it dry. When I take the clips out, it usually looks better.

Another thing I do is spray a tiny bit of hairspray on the area and then put my fingers at the roots and ruffle the area a little bit. This creates a bit of frizz, which covers the bald spot.

FWIW, your hair looks lovely. 

One last thing: The gal who writes the Science-y Hair Blog seems to have a similar curl pattern to yours, and her curls droop like this when she uses polyquats. You could try eliminating polyquats from your routine and see if that does anything.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Thanks everyone for the replies!
    I actually figured out a very easy way to manage it. I think it's caused by a natural swirl and sleeping on it like you guys said.
    I now simply make that spot really wet before I apply leave-in conditioner in the morning and let it dry. Before I just sprayed a little water all over and now I just use a lot for that one spot so that it's soaking and when it dries it's normal like on the first day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file