I'm a newbie and a bit overwhelm not sure where to start....

Curly.NatCurly.Nat Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
Hello lovelies!

I've been amazed at this beautiful community and I'm very excited to be part of it. I've never followed a regime, and tried with very basic products for my hair. I feel a bit overwhelm with all the information and I really not sure where to start... so if some of you can give me some hits where to beginning it would be great!

Some information about my hair. I'm 2c-3a, very malleable, I can make it curlier or less curly depending on how i style it. High to medium porosity, for years i have struggled with curling products since for some reason it makes my roots very very oily and it basically coats my hair after a month of using it. it also get quite frizzy and changes the consistency of the curl depending on the weather. Low density, I've always had very thin hair, and it's been thinning with time :( Therefore i struggle with not having flat root or ending with a triangle sort of shape. 

I've always thought that my hair didn't quite fit into the curly category. Most products I encounter where for people with very dry hair, making my hair heavy and flat. But looking at all the types of curls, it makes me so excited to see girls that have very similar texture to mine. 

I wash my hair almost everyday because I go almost every day to the gym, but i can hold 2 to 3 days without washing it and not looking too bad. 

My main concern is to have more define, frizz-free, and with nice volume hair. 

Thank you for taking the time!!! :)

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Curly.Nat, Welcome to nc.com. So you have 2c-3a, fine, medium/high porosity, low density hair. Good for you for figuring out your hair properties. This will help you identify and refine what products and techniques might work for your hair.

The buildup problem you mention is actually quite common when using products commonly marketed to curly hair. The ones produced by the conglomerates frequently contain non-water soluable silicones which build up on the hair, and take sulfates to remove them which are drying. Then you try to use products to deal with the dryness, and but the silicones coating your hair block all moisture from getting to your hair. This is a viscious cycle which is damaging to all hair, and curly hair really suffers for it. To address this problem you want to start by clarifying, followed by a deep treatment. You can use a sulfate shampoo to clarify if you have one that doesn't have silicones. To identify a non-water-soluable silicone, please see this article on the Sciency Hair Blog: Silicone Ingredient Solubility List. Alternatively, you can get a sulfate-free clarifying shampoo. Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular choice, but you can get more ideas here: Detergents Which Remove: Silicones. Follow this up with a deep treatment. With your high porosity hair, you could benefit from a deep treatment with some protein. Shea Moisture has several, Curl Junkie Repair Me, Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair are few that might be good choices. So, start out by clarifying + deep treatment. Then set these aside to use as needed (between 1x/week and 1x/month is common).

Your porous fine hair can really benefit from regular protein. But this isn't an area I know from direct experience. Check out these articles from the Sciency Hair Blog for more information:

Protein 101 - Lots of Basic Information About Using Protein in Hair Products
    More About Protein
    And her product recommendations (Protein products is the second group down): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/product-list-by-category.html

Finally check out FitKat Style's youtube channel. I think she has your hair type so many of her product recs and techniques might work for you. (I have no connection to her - I only know about her because someone posted a good video she had. I ended up liking a lot of her videos even though her hair type is different.)

Finally learn what you can about the curly girl method. Many people started out with the Curly Girl Handbook, but a lot of us (me included) just learned by reading here on nc.com, Curltalk (check out the newbie threads), and other sources on the internet/youtube. Be prepared to experiment, and discover what your hair really like.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @Curly.Nat! We're so glad you've joined us. 
    Your best bet is to just spend lots of time checking out NaturallyCurly.com, and CurlTalk specifically. There's tons of great information all over the site. 
    Our co-founder's book is pretty awesome, too.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Curly.NatCurly.Nat Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Hi @bomega! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer :) This is very helpful, I will start with the clarifying and deep treatment. And I'll keep readying to learn more about my hair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file