Different state/quality on top and bottom layers of hair.

WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

This is not a new thing, it has been this way since my early teens. My hair has never felt soft and silky, but my bottom layers are almost there. Almost. My top layers, on the other hand. Ugh. I pulled out a few strands, two from the top and one from the safely hidden middle.

I'm not sure if it's just some strange hair quality issue where the top is just a different type, but tends to look...ruffled if I look at one strand. The bottom always looks smooth. Since I don't know much about hair, I decided I should ask some experts in here instead! What do you think the reason is?

Comments

• WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

The right one is from the middle of my head, while the other two are from the top. I know it's hard to see, but maybe you understand what I mean about it looking ruffled. The smooth hair curls better than the ruffled ones, and although the far left was a thicker strand, that is completely random.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I can't tell anything from the picture, but yeah, that is fairly common. The top layer loses moisture slightly faster than the middle layer. My top layer has a tendency to frizz even while the rest of my hair is nicely clumped and curled. 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Any tips on how to tackle it? Do you think focusing on getting a decent gel seal on it will help? Or plop for longer?
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not sure - I don't even get it all the time. Maybe a different gel to get it to clump nicely with the lower layers. It might be as simple as just a tiny bit of oil over the top at the end of your routine.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • NOLAcurlgirlNOLAcurlgirl Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair has smaller, more defined, softer curls underneath.  The curls like "this" are from the nape of my neck upward.  My curls change from size, shape and density from ear level. 
    At first when I noticed this I didn't like it.  But the curls above my ears is a good deal thinner and having tighter thicker curls would improve the way it looks. The curls at the base of my neck and several inches upward are a 3b but the rest are a mixture of 3b and 2b to 3b-ish. 
     My hair used to be so much thicker as a child.  I could "never" have imagined not having really THICK hair.  What I wouldn't do to have that thickness back again.   

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file