scrunching gives me stringy curls

sunny4dayssunny4days Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
i have some clumping while in the shower after i rinse (with my head upside down) and before I add my products or leave in.  I have tried using the prayer hands to add my leave in and gel, but when I scrunch it in, there goes the clumps.  I have to finger comb once I flip my head up and that definitely makes the clumps go away.  Also when I plop and then take the shirt off my hair is so crazy I have to finger comb and that makes more stringy curls?  The plopping give me a flat head, no volume either. 
2b, fine, high porosity

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    File this under the joy of curls. 

Experimentation is the game we must play.  So the problems could be the scrunching or the products.  Scrunching does not work for everyone, so we must experiment with techniques, products amounts.

I like to rope scrunch.  When standing up with my hair down, and a microfiber towel, I grab a big clump of hair.  I start at the top and squeeze the clump, slide my hand down and keep squeezing.

Since you signature mentions that you are high porosity, protein may help.  It gives my hair the "muscle" it needs to hold the curl.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Scrunching doesn't work for me either, and plopping also seem to give me flat hair too. Instead, I start with soaking wet hair out of the shower, and use a t-shirt to dry by smoothing it down the length of my hair, squeezing as I go. I do this a few times until I feel like my hair is dry enough. I have done this before apply product and also after applying product (having applied leave-in and gel in the shower) with pretty good results that seems to promote clumps and minimize frizz.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    i have some clumping while in the shower after i rinse (with my head upside down) and before I add my products or leave in.  I have tried using the prayer hands to add my leave in and gel, but when I scrunch it in, there goes the clumps. 
    For me, this part up here indicates I haven't used enough leave in conditioner.  Plenty of conditioner + water makes good clumps, even when I scrunch.  Are you using a leave in?  Are you doing the S2C technique with it?

I had to stop the upside down thing in the shower because of the messiness at the top of my head.  Now I do everything right side up, then leaning to one side and then the other.  That way there's no finger combing needed.  And the plopping has never worked for me.  I scrunch with my hair towel, but as little as possible.  The more I scrunch, the more the clumps break up.  So it's just a couple scrunches to the lengths of my hair, then I wear my towel like a shawl and just let my hair drip on it until I'm ready to diffuse.  About 10 minutes of diffusing makes my hair dry enough to not wet my clothes, then I can air dry for a while. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso

Experimentation is the game we must play. 
    Love this!  So true!  

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • SortaRican86SortaRican86 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I was just going to post a question about this! I have same issue. It seems the more I scrunch the stringier the curls get. The wave/curls get tighter and that is exciting for me but then by the time it's dry it just looks like a frizzy, stringy hot mess.

I am also having a hard time finding a good balance of LI conditioner that eliminates frizz but doesn't make my hair look greasy. I am thinking I need to cut down on the LI and get a firmer hold gel to go on top to help set the waves/curls.

So I am curious as to some of the replies too.... TIA 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't scrunch a lot, because that creates frizz for me. I scrunch larger sections and hold for a few sections, then release. I try not to scrunch the same place more than twice.

If my clumps get broken up too much, I just add a little water back into my hair (gently scrunching it in), and that makes the clumps better.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I found this to be a problem as well. Not only are my clumps not very curly, my hair overall is lowish density so ya it just frizzes my hair and created the skinniest stringy clumps. I tried to stop scrunching a long time ago. 
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • larinnalarinna Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I was wondering why my hair felt weird after I was scrunching and I found out that it's better if I do it only when they are raelly wet and once they are dry!  I take a fiber towel, put my leave in mask on, detangle with my fingers.  Put my gel AND my cantu curl enhancer, then I scruch all the excess water AND excess product.  I blow dry my hair with medium temperature at first and finish at cool.  I let the products sets it.  When my hair are dry, I scrunch my hair with a t-shirt again and my curls are fluffy and soft!  First time ever!  Thanks to all of your tricks!  ;)
    2C-3A Fine, thin density, medium lenght, not sure about porosity
    Co-washing
    Was using chemical hair dye transitioning to natural hair dye
    37 years young Canadian mother of 4 kids (18 yo B, 11 yo B, 9 yo B and 7 yo G)
    LOVES make up, hair trend, theater and music
    English is NOT my first language so I might make some mistakes...
  • WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

I have to be really careful to put my products and gel on while it's dripping wet. I prefer to get my gel on while it still drips 2 drops pr. second, because then I can squish the gel in. To achieve that, I leave the shower directly after squish to condish, and the last thing I do before stepping out is to pour a small amount of water on the back of my head (while bent forward) so it will run down the hair for a little while longer. Then I use the t-shirt to gently squish it a couple of times to remove any remaining drip from the hair before I leave it be.

For me, squishing when hair is dry (after getting the gel seal off) is just a recipe for frizz, and squishing after it stops dripping splits my hair up. I've also found that I have to get the gel crunch properly out, because I have really skinny clumps when they're all bunched up because of the gel seal.  

This is a very interesting thread for me as a newbie! I'm learning so many different tips and tricks to try out!

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 380Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    larinna said:
    I was wondering why my hair felt weird after I was scrunching and I found out that it's better if I do it only when they are raelly wet and once they are dry!  I take a fiber towel, put my leave in mask on, detangle with my fingers.  Put my gel AND my cantu curl enhancer, then I scruch all the excess water AND excess product.  I blow dry my hair with medium temperature at first and finish at cool.  I let the products sets it.  When my hair are dry, I scrunch my hair with a t-shirt again and my curls are fluffy and soft!  First time ever!  Thanks to all of your tricks!  ;)
    Totally hear this. I squish in my conditioner likw crazy, for maybe 5m.. then scrunch in my leave in and my gel, all sopping wet. Then plop 5 minute o ly (to prevent the flat roots) clip, and don't scrunch again until dry. Works awesome.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • SortaRican86SortaRican86 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Update... I finger comb products through soaking wet hair and use a flat palm to push the hair towards my scalp just a couple of times. Then move on to diffusing. Soooo much less frizz than squishing with a closed fist for me. Anyone else having success with a new method?
  • faithiebee123faithiebee123 Posts: 26Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have this problem too. Another problem I seem to have is if I don't scrunch a ton the weight of the products/water weighs my hair down and I lose curls until it's dryer. 
    2a/b fine strands, medium density, possibly medium/high porosity

Current products:
    SM raw shea butter moisture retention shampoo and conditioner 
    LA Looks mega hold gel (the yellow one)
    looking for a leave-in
  • larinnalarinna Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    It really depends of your hairs type...  I have to do it with soaking (dripping) hair... lol    
    2C-3A Fine, thin density, medium lenght, not sure about porosity
    Co-washing
    Was using chemical hair dye transitioning to natural hair dye
    37 years young Canadian mother of 4 kids (18 yo B, 11 yo B, 9 yo B and 7 yo G)
    LOVES make up, hair trend, theater and music
    English is NOT my first language so I might make some mistakes...
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    You might try raking product through with your fingers and then doing the skip curl method. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file