Fith??????

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
So I was reading this article, and apparently, according to Merriam-Webster, the most correct pronunciation of the word "fifth" is "fith" .

WTF?? I have ALWAYS pronounced that second f. Am I looney? 

What about y'all? 

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm with you Gretchen, never heard such a thing!
    3b in South Australia.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I say Fith. I just figured it was a regional pronunciation (like crick instead of creek).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm the same way Gretchen.  I never heard of this.  I am still trying to understand aks for ask.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    ^Oh, that drives me mad!
    3b in South Australia.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    RE: "aks" vs "ask"..... do a search on it.  It's actually quite fascinating.... the former is older than the latter, if I recall correctly. I read a book a hundred years ago.... "The Story of English" and it talked about the origin of "ask".... I think it actually started out in middle English as "aks" or "ax"

From Smithsonian magazine

"“The people who use the ax pronunciation are using the pronunciation that has been handed down, in an unbroken form, for a thousand years,” says Jesse Shiedlower from the American Dialect Society to NPR.

“It is not a new thing; it is not a mistake,” he says. “It is a regular feature of English.”

Sheidlower says you can trace “ax” back to the eighth century. The pronunciation derives from the Old English verb “acsian.” Chaucer used “ax.” It’s in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): ” ‘Axe and it shall be given.’

"Scissors" is another word that got changed along the way. It was originally spelled without the "c" and some knucklehead added it in there and it stuck. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file