What Am I Doing Wrong?

DepthsOfMySoulDepthsOfMySoul Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
In parts of my hair my roots seems wavy and tends to build/retain it's own oil after a while but the crown area is always dry and brittle AF and lacks a curl. 

Could it be because I have a different curl pattern/texture in that area maybe type 4 or am I doing something wrong??  

The waves, though looser, resembles the wave that form in the front when ones hair is pulled back. 

Then the wave stops mid strands and at the ends are dry curls. 

How can I get the middle to resemble the rest of my hair if possible? And how to make my curls less frizzy and dull looking as they don't move much if at all. 

Just one big frizz ball with some curls here and there. 

I just rubbed some leave in  conditoner and some Eco styler on Friday and blow dried until it didn't have the wet look anymore. 

I wore a high tight curly ponytail on Friday, then loosened it Friday night in like a pulled back curly fro cause the middle still wasn't completely dry. 

Pics of wavy roots, dry crown area and 3 day old hair.

Best Answer

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I don't think your hair looks frizzy at all, just some undefined curls. You will just have to experiment with products and routines to find what works for you, since we are all different! In the photos your hair looks like it is 3c-4a maybe? You should check out the type 3 and type 4 forums! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Answers

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Rubbed in product? That may your problem right there. Technique really matters with curls. You may want to try praying hands and rake n' shake application techniques. (I know there are tutorials on both on this site.) Both are designed to define curls and minimize frizz in tighter curl patterns. Depending on what products you are using, it could also just be the wrong products for your hair or the environment. 

Your dry crown may be one of two things, or a combination of both. (1) Hair on the crown is most exposed to the elements so it gets more damaged. (2) It's very common for people to have multiple curl patterns on their heads. My crown is always looser and the area above my forehead where bangs would go is the tightest. 
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • DepthsOfMySoulDepthsOfMySoul Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @Jeepcurlygirl Thanks, I was thinking there may be 4a somewhere in there and I thought all of that was frizz. Still more learning to do. 

@curlyamaryllis Thanks, I will try to get little samples of different products until I find what works for me. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file