Am I Doing Something Wrong?

DepthsOfMySoulDepthsOfMySoul Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 15 Curl Neophyte
edited January 2018 in Information for Newbies
In parts of my hair my roots seems wavy and tends to build/retain it's own oil after a while but the crown area is always dry and brittle AF and lacks a curl. 

Could it be because I have a different curl pattern/texture in that area maybe type 4 or am I doing something wrong??  

The waves, though looser, resembles the wave that form in the front when ones hair is pulled back. 

Then the wave stops mid strands and at the ends are dry curls. 

How can I get the middle to resemble the rest of my hair if possible? And how to make my curls less frizzy and dull looking as they don't move much if at all. 

Just one big frizz ball with some curls here and there. 

I just rubbed some leave in  conditoner and some Eco styler on Friday and blow dried until it didn't have the wet look anymore. 

I wore a high tight curly ponytail on Friday, then loosened it Friday night in like a pulled back curly fro cause the middle still wasn't completely dry. 

Pics of wavy roots, dry crown area and 3 day old hair.

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Can you tell us more about your hair? What products are you using? Have you done any chemical processes (color, relaxer, etc.). In addition, it would be helpful to know your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). In you case, it is possible you have mixed hair width and mixed porosity, so you should check more hair from more than one area. And also pay attention to the root vs. ends (maybe your hair is becoming porous even if you aren't doing chemical processes).

While you are doing that, take a look at the products you are currently using. Check for non-water-soluable silicones, sulfates, petroleum, byproducts (and ideally also parabens as although these won't affect your curls, they are terrible for the health).
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • DepthsOfMySoulDepthsOfMySoul Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 15 Curl Neophyte
    edited January 2018
    No, I haven't used any chemicals since my big chop last year and none for 5 years before that.

I flat iron maybe once a month, if even that, to check for length. When I flat iron I usually leave it until it's time to wash again. Which means no leave in during those time periods when I have it straight. I don't use grease,  I let it build it's own oil more when it's straight and the ends aren't never as dry like when it's curly. 

I am currently only using cantu leave in repair condtioner and this was my first and only time trying ecostyler.

I don't use much products because I don't have the time to try anything consistently as yet to see a difference. 

I think my hair is med destiny depending on the area. 

The front and back seems to suck up water fast and retains the mositure the longest.

Whereas I can't tell if the middle(crown) is sucking up the water but it doesn't retain any moisture if it does.

I think my strands are fine/medium/coarse. 

I think the crown area is more medium/coarse which tends to dry out like the ends. 

I wash my hair about once month with cantu shampoo and just started applying leave in a little more but not more than 3 times a month unless I have the cantu leave in spray then I use that almost everyday to 3 times a week but I don't have any right now. 

A few days after wash day I usually just wear my hair pulled back into a loose puffy ponytail for a few days then leave it in a bun for the rest of the month. 

The hair doesn't have much elasticity, my curls don't bounce but will retract somewhat when pulled.

I'm wondering now if I might have some type 4 hair or an underlying condition as that area is also tender which the rest of my scalp is not. 

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    It sounds like the ends of your hair need more moisture.  A simple way to start is to use water and some leave in on the ends of you hair more frequently.

You may want to look into using oils to seal you hair (or at least the ends) to retain moisture.  
    A great reference: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

A really food deep conditioner will also probably help.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • DepthsOfMySoulDepthsOfMySoul Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 15 Curl Neophyte
    @ WavyKfromNJ I never tried oils only creams and milk but I will add to my list of things to try. 

Now I see why my mom always advise me to grease my ends and braid them up when I was younger. 
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    The Cantu Leave in cream has non-water-soluable silicones in it. Now, if you were shampooing with the Cantu shampoo, weekly, that would be ok, since you would be cleaning the silicones off. But since you are only doing it once a month, I think it is contributing to your dryness. If that is the only product you are using, I suspect there is your problem. Some people can use silicones without problems, but since you are currently experiencing dryness, I think you should avoid them until your hair recovers. To do this;

1) Start by clarifying + deep treatment. I don't think the Cantu shampoo has a clarifying agent that will remove silicones, so I think you should pick one up. Kinky Curly Come Clean is a popular one. Follow the clarifying shampoo with a silicone-free deep treatment. Camille Rose Naturals Algae Treatment is one you can probably find at Target. Curl Junkie Curl Rehab is a popular one, but will have to order online (shop.naturallycurly.com has it - you can also order off of their website).

2) Start reading about the Curly Girl Method. In addition to avoiding sulfates and silicones, you should start using products and techniques that will support the health of your hair. In your case. WavyK gave you some ideas. I think you should start more regular deep treatment. But really your hair will be the guide to what it needs. Try reading more about the Curly Girl Method and experimenting with the techniques to see what your hair likes.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file