What made you realize your hair was fine?

curlymochagirlcurlymochagirl Posts: 74Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I recently stumbled across a YouTube video that’s got me thinking I have fine hair. I always thought it was coarse because it’s kinky. But I can never get the volume other people do and have these “gaps” down the length of my hair - in spite of feeling like I have a lot of hair. I never wear it down for this reason. What made you realize you had fine hair? Did you always know?
Still trying to figure it all out.

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 595Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I was always told I had fine hair as I was growing up.  Here is a more official way to determine if your hair is fine:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/search?q=Fine

Even though my hair is fine I can still feel occasionally kinks in individual strands.

Don't confuse fine hair with hair density.  Density is the number of overall strands (or strands per square inch).
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Yeah, I guess I always knew my hair was fine because it felt that way, and my mother has fine hair (that is bone straight). But most of my life it was high density and people didn't believe it is actually fine. Usually it is just academic, but I have to spell it out,  more than once in the same conversation, for hair dressers. In the past two different hair dressers, in addition to not taking into account curl shrinkage, gave me too many layers, that ended up looking stringy (or showing scalp when I had a pixie cut) for not taking into account my fine hair. Even after I spelled it out for them! (grr!)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,968Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It's possible that you have coarse hair but low hair density, as @WavyKfromNJ alluded to.

I was told that my hair was fine as I was growing up, and it also felt that way. My hair was always very slippery and didn't have any volume, despite the fact that I appeared to have a lot of it. Strands that fell from my head were also not very visible since they were so thin.

You could maybe ask your hairdresser next time you go in whether you have fine hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlymochagirlcurlymochagirl Posts: 74Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was always told I had fine hair as I was growing up.  Here is a more official way to determine if your hair is fine:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/search?q=Fine

Even though my hair is fine I can still feel occasionally kinks in individual strands.

Don't confuse fine hair with hair density.  Density is the number of overall strands (or strands per square inch).
    Thanks! I will take a look at the link.
    @WavyKfromNJ, @bomega, and @Therese1: is this thread test reliable where you compare a strand of your hair to a strand of thread? 
    I don't know what the thread test is. Here is how the Sciency Hair Blog recommends measuring hair width: Is Your Hair Fine, Medium, or Coarse? How to Measure
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

@WavyKfromNJ, @bomega, and @Therese1: is this thread test reliable where you compare a strand of your hair to a strand of thread? 
    @curlymochagirl

I wouldn't think so, since threads come in different thicknesses.

2b, 2c,

Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
    bomega said:
    I don't know what the thread test is. Here is how the Sciency Hair Blog recommends measuring hair width: Is Your Hair Fine, Medium, or Coarse? How to Measure
    Thanks. That test seems complicated but probably worth a try
    @curlymochagirl

I wouldn't think so, since threads come in different thicknesses.

That was my thought too. Thanks!
    I recently stumbled across a YouTube video that’s got me thinking I have fine hair. I always thought it was coarse because it’s kinky. But I can never get the volume other people do and have these “gaps” down the length of my hair - in spite of feeling like I have a lot of hair. I never wear it down for this reason. What made you realize you had fine hair? Did you always know?
    @curlymochagirl
    What do you mean by "gaps" in the length of your hair?  It may be what I call kinks.  I would describe my hair like a strand of spaghetti that has an occasional flat spot, like fettuccini.
    2b, 2c,

edited January 28
    @curlymochagirl
    What do you mean by "gaps" in the length of your hair?  It may be what I call kinks.  I would describe my hair like a strand of spaghetti that has an occasional flat spot, like fettuccini.
    It’s not in the individual strands. It’s more how the hair clumps together after washing and it’s dry, especially if I have more definition. The gaps are like when you can see between the clumps of hair. I tried to find a picture but I don’t have any. I know that probably sounds weird to say I have no pictures of it but I literally never leave my hair down for this reason.
    @curlymochagirl, so it sounds like you want fewer, bigger clumps, correct?  There could be several things that may help:  haircut, styling method, products.
    2b, 2c,

• DepthsOfMySoulDepthsOfMySoul Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I think I realized after my daughters father tried to claim our daughters hair was like his grandmother's hair which was as he said "fine fine hair".

I went natural and started paying more attention to my hair and noticed the entire back and sides are fine hair and a mix of fine and coarse throughout the rest. 

I also noticed the fine hair does not have any kinks like my coarse sections do. 

I always knew the back half was different but I didn't know it was because it is fine. 

I don't need to do anything extra to that hair as it always seems well nourished whereas the crown, which is not fine but medium and coarse dries out fast. 

The only thing is it doesn't stay curly long. When it dries it straightens, if not when it dries by the time I wake up it's straighten's by it's self. 

Being that it is in the back I can blend it fairly well. 

bomega said:
    Thanks. That test seems complicated but probably worth a try.
    bomega said:
    Thanks. That test seems complicated but probably worth a try.
    @curlymochagirl, so it sounds like you want fewer, bigger clumps, correct?  There could be several things that may help:  haircut, styling method, products.
    I think so. I’m starting to think I should be avoiding gel type products and anything that says curl defining.
    I think so. I’m starting to think I should be avoiding gel type products and anything that says curl defining.
    Hi @curlymochagirl : It may be the case that you should avoid gel type products. But it might be a good idea to really get some accurate resolution into what your hair properties are (hair width, porosity, density). These really are more important in determining what types of products and techniques will help you hair. You can use the guides linked above to try to figure it out. There are also some guides in the newbie threads and somewhere on nc.com to help you figure it out. And if it is too overwhelming, you might think about ordering a hair analysis report from Goosefootprints (of the Sciency Hair Blog).

Although so many of us did wander the desert until we figured out what works, the hair properties can take so much angst out of the process. Rather than taking a shot in the dark with products you will be able use a strategy to zero in on what products/techniques that will help. For example, a person who has coarse low density hair will probably benefit from different products and techniques than a person who has fine high density hair, regardless of curl type. So, slowing down and figuring this out will really help you.

• FinethincurlyFinethincurly Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair started out think. Then puberty hit and it started getting thin. Now my hair is fine and thin. I can tell just by looking at it.
    @curlymochagirl
    @WavyKfromNJ, I finally got a picture. I need a haircut but what I call gaps are still there even after a cut.
    bomega said:
    Hi @curlymochagirl : It may be the case that you should avoid gel type products. But it might be a good idea to really get some accurate resolution into what your hair properties are (hair width, porosity, density). These really are more important in determining what types of products and techniques will help you hair. You can use the guides linked above to try to figure it out. There are also some guides in the newbie threads and somewhere on nc.com to help you figure it out. And if it is too overwhelming, you might think about ordering a hair analysis report from Goosefootprints (of the Sciency Hair Blog).

Although so many of us did wander the desert until we figured out what works, the hair properties can take so much angst out of the process. Rather than taking a shot in the dark with products you will be able use a strategy to zero in on what products/techniques that will help. For example, a person who has coarse low density hair will probably benefit from different products and techniques than a person who has fine high density hair, regardless of curl type. So, slowing down and figuring this out will really help you.
    @bomega, that reminded me that 5 or 6 years ago I did a hair analysis with both Live Curly Live Free and Komaza and got completely different results. Komaza said I had fine hair and normal porosity. Live Curly Live Free said I had medium hair and low porosity. Neither said anything about density since they are analyzing individual strands.
    Your hair is beautiful.  The gaps look like mini parts, the hair on one side goes go one curl, the hair on the other side goes to a different curl.
    2b, 2c,

@curlymochagirl: There does seem to be some influence of opinion with this. I just saw my hair dresser and we talked abiut my hair properties for the first time. She felt the need to manage the expectations that while my hair was fine, she had seen much more fine hair, and so didnt quite think of it that way. In addition, without soing the float test, her initial feeling/guess was my hair was more normal porosity than low porosity. I think it might just feel that way because of winter and having just done my henna treatment. So, in addition to subjective opinion, hair regularly goes through changes that make this properties difficult to identify. But im sticking to my initial aaswssment because the results fit (product/technique behavior).

• CheeryWandererCheeryWanderer Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I realized my hair was fine, because it’s extremely light weight. 

It it feels like nothing is on my head, whether I bun it, braid it, leave it out, or even have it damp. It’s beyond weightless.

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 351Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When I roll a strand of hair between my fingers... I feel nothing. Fine hair. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 9,910Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Wow, @curlymochagirl!  What gorgeous locks you have!  

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • BabyfineBabyfine Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Novice
    being told by every stylist, plus my mother, who also always told me my hair was so fine.
    Plus it falls, flat, limp but it got wavier with puberty and I've been told that I'm lucky it has waves, which gives it the illusion of some body.  I'm always trying to get more curl.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
    @Babyfine  My fine hair loves protein.  Think of protein giving your hair muscle to hold the curl.  Without the protein my hair just becomes a poufy mess.

An easy way to start is Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (CNPF).  You can get a small bottle at Sally Beauty for about $2.00.  You mix it with water in a spray bottle and spritz it in your hair.  To start you may want to dilute the mixture more than suggested.  If your hair likes protein you will need to add it to your hair regularly.  It is not a permanent fix.  You will also need to figure out your own schedule, what works for one curly will not necessarily work for another.
    2b, 2c,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file