Hoping this goes in the salon/stylist section - saw a new one today!

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,121Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I was unhappy with my current stylist even though she is outstanding because it is SO expensive and hard to get an appt.  So I read in the NYC yelp section and there were great reviews for DreamWaves Salon so I took a chance and went.  It was less than 1/2 the cost of my current (now previous) stylist.  A tiny place, no frills whatsoever, but run by 2 guys who are ex-Devachan employees.  He gave me the full Deva treatment, nice person, and so far, I am very pleased with this cut.  He only does curly hair.  I will have to see how it looks in a week or so, but so far, so good!  If you are in NYC and fed up with the high prices, ask for Rini at DreamWaves.  He is definitely a Deva-trained and experienced stylist.  
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,509Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Oh, how great that you found such a fun little salon, save money, and that they do a great job!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,121Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Jeepy, thanks for such a sweet comment!  Unfortunately, it turned out all wrong.  It's all uneven on the bottom.  That's because it was cut dry and/or he didn't know what he was doing.  I'm having it re-cut tomorrow at a more expensive :( place.  P.S. What happened to the great page of emoticons?
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,333Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CP -- it sounds like he gave you the traditional deva cut that is uneven rather than blunt on bottom. 
    You can tell the stylist that you want the bottom even and still have a curly cut.  
    So if the rest of your haircut is good maybe give him a try again just telling him how you want the bottom edges cut.  

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,509Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Well dang, sorry you didn't like your cut after all!  My hair is never even all over. If it was it would be a giant triangle. haha.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,501Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Oh, so sorry, CP!  I was going to ask you to put a review in the salon reviews section, but maybe not.... 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,121Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, I bit the bullet and went to Dickey who fixed my uneven cut and gave me a really great haircut so I'm very happy now.  It was expensive but worth it!  I'll go back to him at the Hair Rules salon in NYC.  Can't wait for warmer weather so I don't have to wear tight fitting hats that ruin my curls!  Going to go full out c.g. then - Yippee!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,501Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Oh so glad to hear!  Did Dickey himself do your cut? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file