Should I Apply Styling Products to Damp Hair or Soaking Wet Hair?

nrazzberrynrazzberry Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I've seen so many different sources say so many different things. The Curly Girl Handbook says scrunch your hair with a micro-fiber towel before applying gel/styling products, while many others urge you to only apply to soaking wet hair. 
I don't know what I should do and I'm so confused lol :s
What's the difference? You would think to follow the CG handbook (written by the Founder of DevaCurl herself), but the DevaCurl blog said to apply to soaking wet hair. 

Best Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Yeah, it can be confusing and frustrating. I wish I could give you a definitive answer but unfortunately the only way to know for sure it to experiment. And it's even possible that one way works for some products and the other way works for others.

I don't know the reason for Devacurl's shift in recommendation. It could be because they experimented, and found the soaking way works better afterall. It could be their product formulations have changed to where the soaking way works better now than when the book cam out. It could be everyone at Devacurl always thought soaking was better, but Lorraine Massey had an ego about it.

But really the right way is what works for you.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, you just need to experiment and see what works for you. I put leave-in and curl cream into soaking wet hair, then add mousse when I've blotted my hair.
    3b in South Australia.

Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    As other said, you just need to try different things until you find what works for you.  I add gel to soaking wet hair, squeeze and scrunch, plop in a terry turban towel (my hair does not like micro fiber, but others do like it).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file