Tips on how to deal with my Curly hair!?

TashscurlsTashscurls Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
All my life I've had straight and thin hair (like my mom)  then one day out of the blue my hair started to become wavy and curly...since me and my mom both had no clue how to deal with my suddenly very frizzy curly hair. I invested in a straightener this was in 6th grade since then I have straightend my hair as often as possible and when I wasn't straightening my hair I was blow drying and brushing the curls out. At one point I tried to bleach my hair at home (I still question why my mom let 13 year old me do this). Anyway fast forward to year 8 we went on camp for three days during this camp it rained non stop the whole time,( I didn't bother brushing it or drying it)while I was there my hair became so curly that everyone was asking me if I was curling my hair. Now about 5 months later I have decided I want to go natural and embrace my curls. The issue is the top of my head is dead straight all the way to my eyes then I've got random types of curls some strands of hair are wavy others ringlets,  slight curls, even coils. My hair goes down to my armpits.. .and is dry especially at the ends (also really split as well), but greasy on the top. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how I can define my curls and recover from heat damage (the last time I straightend my hair was four days ago). Please keep in mind I live in Western Australia and we don't have products like Deva curl out here... Plus I don't think my mom would spend $50 on a bottle of shampoo anyway.... Any advice would be much appreciated thanks... 

Best Answers

• RimonsileyRimonsiley Posts: 40 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Hello, @Tashscurls !
    I am afraid that it will take some time for your hair to recover and "settle". I also think it's quite common to have more multiple types of curls, so I wouldn't worry about that – follow healthy routine and it will be okay :smile: There is nothing much to do about split ends either than cutting them off. You don't have to cut them all at once, but they won't repair themselves.
    Try to moisturize your hair with a good amount of sillicone-free conditioner everytime you wash, squeeze it in your hair and do not wash it out completely. Focus on the lenghts, not the roots. You can also spray your hair in the morning with conditioner-water mixture to give them some more moisture. What helps me with the definition is raking a leave-in conditioner (or smaller amount of normal one) through my wet hair with my fingers. I usually work in 4-6 sections and then twist each section together, so it resembles a rope. I do it with all the sections and then carefully untie them and scrunch. You can also use styling gel/cream/mousse.
    With the brands, I don't know what shops you have around, but I am from central Europe and struggle with finding anything curly friendly. I get sulfate-free shampoo from Yves Rocher and conditioners from Balea or Alverde. Some people also get the best results making their own shampoo from baking soda or rye flour, or using only conditioner, so you can try it out :smile:
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Tashscurls : Welcome to nc.com. @Rimonsiley gave you some great ideas. The only thing I want to add is to be patient. Learn what you can about the Curly Girl Method, and experiment with the ideas. A lot of people learned by reading the book Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey. But you can also read article around nc.com, and the newbie threads here on Curltalk have lot of info too.

For product recommendations and to refine your techniques, it can be helpful to know your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). There is a guide in the newbie threads to help you figure that out. But in the mean time, a US product that many find helpful is the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus line (I used the Shampoo, Conditioner, Styling Milk, and the Curling Gel Souffle is also popular). This is one that many people seem to be able to get all over the world and it seems to work with a lot of different hair types.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831 Administrator
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome, @Tashscurls! So happy to have you here!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file