Can't keep my fingers or brushes out of my hair!

Sirenfox82Sirenfox82 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I'm new to this curly girl thing, though I've been sulfate/mostly silicone free for 2 or 3 years now, and I've been mostly heat free for about 6 months, maybe? What IS new to me (aside from finally realizing the texture of my hair) is squish to condish and using products such as leave-in conditioners and curl-defining gels. I've been doing an upright squish to condish as well as a modified way of scrunching product into my hair. I like to comb it first and part my hair, then scrunch upright. With the way my waves are, when I do the flipped over thing my hair just dries into a total mess. My hair is relatively straight from the roots to about midshaft (except for a few cowlicks) and then the curls kick in and get more intense at the bottom. I rather like it, as long as my hair is long enough for the curls to happen. If my hair is shorter it just goes every which way because it's not heavy enough with length if that makes any sense. After I'm a seasoned curly girl I'm wondering if that will change and I'll be able to have shorter hair without having to beat it into submission (I HAD to heat style it because my wave pattern looked AWFUL if I didn't).

But anyway, that short hair stuff is just a side thought.

My problem is that the straight part needs to get brushed or finger combed once in a while throughout the day or else it's just a huge halo of frizz. That and I have always had a huge habit of always running my fingers through my hair. But now when I do it they get stuck in the curls due to the gel and I just destroy them and end up a frizzy mess. I've been trying a few different products and I think I finally found a gel I like where my fingers don't get stuck, but I'M STILL HAVING A REALLY HARD TIME NOT RUNNING MY DARN FINGERS THROUGH MY HAIR! I can manage to get a nice 2b/2c mix going (with a few stray 2a's) on even the straight part, but then when I run the fingers through I get a messy, frizzy 2a canopy even though the inner layers stay intact. 

Thoughts?

Oh, and most of the time I'm using:

Pre-poo: Beautiful Curls Hydrating Curl Oil
Co-wash: As I Am
Leave in: Still figuring that out, I really loved Graydon Green Hair Smoothie but it's expensive and I ran out, so I'm using As I Am's leave-in since so many people rave about it
Gel: The one I finally tried that I think might be the one is Beautiful Curls Defining Gel for Wavy to Curly

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Sirenfox82 : Welcome to nc.com. It's awesome you have been embracing your natural hair texture for a while now. Thank you for listing your products...it really helps!

A lot of what you are describing sounds like for all of your efforts, your hair is still dehydrated. Do you deep condition regularly? Or, sometimes these things happen because you need a protein treatment. However, you don't want to over protein, so its better to start by working on the hydration, as over-conditioning is easier to get over than over-protein.

Do you know your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density)? There is a guide in the newbie threads that can help you identify this. This can help zero in on what your hair might need.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    When I first started wearing my hair curly, I would put the gel into my hair after towel drying.  I got that tangly, sticky feel where I couldn't run my fingers through my hair.  Once I started putting my gel into soaking wet hair - right in the shower - I got a much softer, no tangled feel.  Now I can run my fingers through as much as I want.  I would suggest trying that. 

I don't ever brush, because that just gives me a big puff-ball look.  But I do fluff up my hair through the day, or smooth out the top if it's looking frizzy. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It is like any habit you are trying to break, not easy.  For me I had to substitute one behavior with another.

Instead of running your fingers through your hair (and risk breaking up you curl clumps and making Frizz)try running your hand lightly over the surface.
    Or 
    Grab a curl and twist it.

Or, the one that worked for me.  I used some products (don't remember which ones) that left my hair a little sticky, running my fingers through my hair made my hands sticky and grossed me out.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Sirenfox82Sirenfox82 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, and sorry for the delay. I've been going through lots of trial and error and trying to figure out my hair's porosity, and how to get my hair looking decent.

@bomega I do deep condition regularly (if that includes overnight oil treatments), but I agree that my hair may still be dehydrated. I keep getting high porosity on quizzes I take (probably because I color my hair regularly), but I'm thinking it's actually low porosity since product does tend to kind of just sit on my hair and it takes literally forever to dry. But at the same time, my hair soaks up water immediately, so I am extremely confused on the subject of MY hair's porosity. And it's fine-medium width and medium-high density, and DEFINITELY likes things that are lighter weight.

Oh and I did a protein treatment yesterday I used the Aphogee Two-Step Treatment since I had it lying around. My hair is very happy right now. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    It is like any habit you are trying to break, not easy.  For me I had to substitute one behavior with another.

Instead of running your fingers through your hair (and risk breaking up you curl clumps and making Frizz)try running your hand lightly over the surface.
    Or 
    Grab a curl and twist it.

Or, the one that worked for me.  I used some products (don't remember which ones) that left my hair a little sticky, running my fingers through my hair made my hands sticky and grossed me out.
    Great suggestions! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file