Newbie Help! Am I really a 2A?

mannyshairrmannyshairr Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 13 Curl Novice
Hi lovely curlies/wavies! 

Just needing your help. I've always labelled myself as a type 1 with a lot of frizz but a month ago I decided to start the CGM to see if any waves would come out and a few did appear but not sure if I am really a 2A or a mix of both (1 and 2A).. please help!

The photo below is my hair today, just washed (coloured last Tues) with sulfate shampoo to clarify and start CGM again, no product, no scrunching and air-dried. So frizzy! I did rake my hands straight down a few times, not sure if that makes any difference. Hair density is medium and porosity is low, but now it's been bleached and coloured, porosity will prob be high.

Any hair treatment/mask recommendations for coloured hair would be great too. Thank you! :)

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @mannyshairr : Welcome to nc.com. Love the colors in your hair! I wouldn't say your hair is frizzy, but rather you don't have good clumping or curl definition. But the hair is all going the same way and pretty settled down, so consider that a plus. Your curl type may change as you continue using products that are healthy for your hair. I have protein sensitive low porosity hair, so I'm not sure I can come up with any rec's from experience for you, but here are a few thoughts.

High porosity hair tends to benefit from products with protein in them. The Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus line has silk protein in it. There seems to have been a formulation change and a lot of curlies are reporting that it doesn't help the way it used to. But you could give it a shot. the Suave Essentials Conditioners (but not the Professional) are CG-Friendly and the Tropical Coconut one has silk protein in it. Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish is CG friendly (not the others though). These are some that you might be able to find on the ground.

Those are a few that you probably can find on the ground.

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• WildberryWildberry Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur

Raking your fingers through your hair makes as much of an impacts as scrunching with no products do to a 2a, only the other way around.

You could also try to shower and do the scrunching routine, but without styling products. I'm new to this as well, and a 2a. I wanted to see how my hair reacted to shower and no manipulation, to shower with scrunching, and to shower with brushing like normal. The sad thing is that the brushed result was by far the worst, and that's what I have been dealing with since my teens.

Anyway, my no-product scrunched waves survived the drying, and slowly faded throughout the day. Next morning they were gone. My sister has straight hair and tried the same thing, and her scrunched waves did not even last through the drying process.

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Since your hair is probably hi-po now, I would try some protein-containing products and go back to scrunching. I would also try using a styler (like a gel) to hold your waves. If I used no styler, I doubt that my waves would last 24 hours.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • mannyshairrmannyshairr Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 13 Curl Novice
    Wildberry said:

Raking your fingers through your hair makes as much of an impacts as scrunching with no products do to a 2a, only the other way around.

You could also try to shower and do the scrunching routine, but without styling products. I'm new to this as well, and a 2a. I wanted to see how my hair reacted to shower and no manipulation, to shower with scrunching, and to shower with brushing like normal. The sad thing is that the brushed result was by far the worst, and that's what I have been dealing with since my teens.

Anyway, my no-product scrunched waves survived the drying, and slowly faded throughout the day. Next morning they were gone. My sister has straight hair and tried the same thing, and her scrunched waves did not even last through the drying process.

Thank you for your reply! This is exactly what my hair does! 
    The brushing is after washing is bad for me too, it looks like in the photo but with straighter hair. It wasn't my intention to rake it but I just couldnt help it then once I started I couldn't stop haha!

When i scrunch after washing but with no product the waves do hold until the next day then I have to refresh it with a product like mousse. 
  • mannyshairrmannyshairr Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 13 Curl Novice
    Therese1 said:
    Since your hair is probably hi-po now, I would try some protein-containing products and go back to scrunching. I would also try using a styler (like a gel) to hold your waves. If I used no styler, I doubt that my waves would last 24 hours.
    Thank you, I do need to try some. Have you got any recommendations? I've seen a few but they have silicones in them. Do you know of any protein treatments without cones? I will also check on the site for CGM approved ones. 
    bomega said:
    Hi @mannyshairr : Welcome to nc.com. Love the colors in your hair! I wouldn't say your hair is frizzy, but rather you don't have good clumping or curl definition. But the hair is all going the same way and pretty settled down, so consider that a plus. Your curl type may change as you continue using products that are healthy for your hair. I have protein sensitive low porosity hair, so I'm not sure I can come up with any rec's from experience for you, but here are a few thoughts.

High porosity hair tends to benefit from products with protein in them. The Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus line has silk protein in it. There seems to have been a formulation change and a lot of curlies are reporting that it doesn't help the way it used to. But you could give it a shot. the Suave Essentials Conditioners (but not the Professional) are CG-Friendly and the Tropical Coconut one has silk protein in it. Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish is CG friendly (not the others though). These are some that you might be able to find on the ground.

Those are a few that you probably can find on the ground.

Thank you @bomega I've only figured out how to reply on here on my iphone lol

I will give the Tresemme a try as it's currently on sale at my local supermarket store. I'll also give the Shea Moisture a try too as I really like that brand. Thank you!
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Therese1 said:
    Thank you, I do need to try some. Have you got any recommendations? I've seen a few but they have silicones in them. Do you know of any protein treatments without cones? I will also check on the site for CGM approved ones. 
    I am rotating among gels right now because I accumulate a lot of build-up. I rotate among Kenra Firm Hold Gel (not the curly version, just the regular version), Bumble and Bumble Gel, Jessicurl Confident Coils, and Intelligent Nutrients Styling Gel. I am limited in that my hair does not like a lot of protein, so you could probably find cheaper gels that would work just as well since your hair will most likely tolerate protein. People seem to like Ecostyler and LA Looks Gel.

I don't know much about protein treatments, since my hair is protein sensitive. I think that most people just use protein-rich shampoos and conditioners for their protein. You can tell by reading the ingredients list whether there is a lot of protein (proteins include hydrolyzed grains and amino acids). You could do a protein treatment by using such a protein-rich conditioner and leaving it on your hair for 30 minutes. That will allow the maximum amount of protein to bond to your hair.

Note that protein can have a drying effect on some people's hair. Some people like to follow a protein treatment with a deep conditioning treatment with a non-protein-containing conditioner.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 said:
    Therese1 said:
    I am rotating among gels right now because I accumulate a lot of build-up. I rotate among Kenra Firm Hold Gel (not the curly version, just the regular version), Bumble and Bumble Gel, Jessicurl Confident Coils, and Intelligent Nutrients Styling Gel. I am limited in that my hair does not like a lot of protein, so you could probably find cheaper gels that would work just as well since your hair will most likely tolerate protein. People seem to like Ecostyler and LA Looks Gel.

I don't know much about protein treatments, since my hair is protein sensitive. I think that most people just use protein-rich shampoos and conditioners for their protein. You can tell by reading the ingredients list whether there is a lot of protein (proteins include hydrolyzed grains and amino acids). You could do a protein treatment by using such a protein-rich conditioner and leaving it on your hair for 30 minutes. That will allow the maximum amount of protein to bond to your hair.

Note that protein can have a drying effect on some people's hair. Some people like to follow a protein treatment with a deep conditioning treatment with a non-protein-containing conditioner.
    Thank you @Therese1 for all your help. I'll give those a try. 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    For protein, if you have a Sally Beauty near you, you can try Aphogee 2 step, but use a different deep conditioner since that one has cones.  Or Colorful Neutral Protein Filler(CNPF) I mix it with water and spritz it in my hair.

For a homemade protein treatment try the gelatin recipe  http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/p/recipes-and-projects.html
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    edited January 2018
    So wavies I've washed my hair today (low poo and conditioner, hair was too dry to not use conditioner), squished and then scrunched then air dried naturally without products and it was much better. I guess my waves need some directions on what to do as normally they don't clump properly but they did today. My hair was 80% dried and the waves lasted a trip outdoors with light wind and were still good. Thought I'd share a photo of the clumping, defo more wave definition! 
  • WildberryWildberry Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur
    That's quite a difference, especially at the top. It's going to be interesting to see how your hair will take to it over time!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Very nice.  Once you get the correct level of moisture and protein it will only get better.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Wildberry said:
    That's quite a difference, especially at the top. It's going to be interesting to see how your hair will take to it over time!
    @Wildberry I know right?! The first photo is how I've been accepting my hair for years and years, as long as I can remember I had that fluffiness to it and didn't understand why. I can't wait to see how it looks in a year's time! :-)
    Very nice.  Once you get the correct level of moisture and protein it will only get better.
    Yep, I'm still learning all the time. I've now found that squishing is the way to go and not fully rinsing out my conditioner really helps. Hoping to cut low-poo and switch to no-poo in a few months time when my scalp learns to get less greasy. :-)
    Definitely looking better and so quickly!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

bomega said:
    Definitely looking better and so quickly!
    Thank you @bomega - I've been CGM for two months now and loving how my hair looks already, still learning what it likes/doesn't like but getting there. 

I just don't know how to get my colour done without them using their products as I'm not sure if it's CGM approved so a little setback with having the colour but hopefully it'll get better again quickly. :-)
    edited January 2018
    By their products do you mean the hair dresser using their shampoo and conditioner and stuff? I wouldn't worry about it. I let my hair dresser put whatever she wants in (she likes the Moroccan Oil brand products on me, which all have silicones in them) then just clarify+DT the next day.

Since I just started the CGM I haven't been to the hairdresser yet (I'm growing out an undercut and fringe), but I figured I would just do what Bomega does.

bomega said:
    By their products do you mean the hair dresser using their shampoo and conditioner and stuff? I wouldn't worry about it. I let my hair dresser put whatever she wants in (she likes the Moroccan Oil brand products on me, which all have silicones in them) then just clarify+DT the next day.
    Ahh glad to hear that! Yay! 
    I love the CGM - will never look back! Got some DT masks today. :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file