Greasy roots, dry ends!

NleathNleath Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
Help! I am just beginning my journey to natural curly hair and I am thinking I have 3C type hair. My main issue is that I wash my hair everyday at the moment and at max I can go every second day because my hair is so greasy at the roots. After straightening my hair for at least 15 years it’s time for change however the greasy roots is a major hurdle already especially when using the gym. Any advice at all would be helpful!! 

Best Answer

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @Nleath : Welcome to nc.com. good for you for embracing your natural hair texture. I'm not sure if I'm be best person to give you advice because I wash my hair everyday! And I definitely wash my hair after workout (but I work out in the morning, so it all works out. ;)) Everyday washing has been my dirty secret since my teens, but last year I read an article on the Sciency Hair Blog where she mentions in passing that fine, low porosity hair can sometimes get away with everyday washing because it has less risk of hygral fatigue (being fine, there is just less hair there to swell) and might benefit from daily washing because it is hard to hydrate and quick to lose moisture. So, if you have fine, LP hair, you can give yourself a pass.

Now, I don't want to be a complete enabler, so might I also suggest that if you want to get away from daily washing, you could start trying to go every other day...then EOOD...until you are washing just 1-2x/week. This will give your scalp a chance to adjust gradually to producing less oils.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• DutskeDutske Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 11 Curl Neophyte
    I have the same problem! And on the second my hair is just numb and flat. So I'm going to try and moving away from washing and/or conditioning  everyday. Curious to see how my hair reacts. 
  • NleathNleath Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    @Dutske I have decided to try and spread it from washing every second day to 3rd/4th etc.. hopefully this may be the answer! 
  • DutskeDutske Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 11 Curl Neophyte
    By changing to DevaCurl products; I'm not afraid anymore to NOT wash my hair everyday. So far so good skipping a day! I hope to be add another day soon. I'm also trying to put my hair when sleeping; it's to short for a pinapple (ends fall out). Trail and error!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file