Hair feels great in shower, then feels "weird"?

kallyn3kallyn3 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
So I'm pretty sure my hair is 2c/3a but it's almost straight in the back for some reason, and it's pretty flat on my head
According to that quiz, and my best guesses this is me:
Density - thin
porosity - low
thickness - medium

My issue is that after trying a handful of conditioners (devacurl delight, giovanni tea tree, shea moisture, not your mothers, aveda, alaffia), my hair feels great in the shower! So soft, smooth, no tangles, it's great. Then as soon as I rinse it out, with cold or warm water, it just instantly dries up. I've had two devacuts and they said "style when your hair is soaking wet" which I would do... if my hair stayed soaking wet. Okay so maybe the problem is I should leave a little amount of conditioner in? Nope way too heavy. Maybe a "light" leave in? Nope way too heav/causes build up.
When my hair dries, it's kind of frizzy, but there's not very much curl, it's SO SOFT!! But it looks like it would be dry, which confuses me.

Please has anyone had any experiences like this I just don't want to deal with it anymore!!
Current:
Cleanse: KCCC or DevaCurl Low poo when I feel like I need it, otherwise I try to stick with cowash
Cowash: Sallys GVP
Conditioner: Sallys GVP or Nature's Gate Jojoba
Leave In: Curls Blueberry Bliss
Gel: Blueberry Bliss Jelly

Weekly Deep Condition: Maui Moisture Shea Butter hair mask
Occasional PT: SM Protein mask with some NPF

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If your hair dries that quickly, it is probably high porosity.  I am guessing your hair is over moisturized and needs protein.

Here is a great resource:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity
    I recommend reading all of her blog she has great insight into hair.

This is another really good resource to help you determine what your hair may need:
    .http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

Good Luck
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • kallyn3kallyn3 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I went to the first link and looked at the hair tests
    If I take several strands from different areas, they all stretch and then return to the original length. It still has the elasticity that that page says I shouldn't have. If I pull it far enough it'll break but I can stretch it a good amount and have it return to normal. 
    Current:
    Cleanse: KCCC or DevaCurl Low poo when I feel like I need it, otherwise I try to stick with cowash
    Cowash: Sallys GVP
    Conditioner: Sallys GVP or Nature's Gate Jojoba
    Leave In: Curls Blueberry Bliss
    Gel: Blueberry Bliss Jelly

Weekly Deep Condition: Maui Moisture Shea Butter hair mask
    Occasional PT: SM Protein mask with some NPF
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have a few thoughts:

1) Have you clarified+deep conditioned recently, like within the past month? This has a way of clearing up weird hair difficulties.

2) Perhaps you need a protein treatment. You want to go gently if you want to pursue this as low porosity hair can get over proteined easily. Here is the Sciency Hair Blog's Protein 101 article.

3) Along those lines, if protein may be in issue, another way to approach it is to try smaller proteins in your regular routine. Which Shea Moisture did you use? The Coconut Hibiscus line has silk protein in it which is a cooperative protein. My hair used to love it back when it could take protein. I used to use the Shampoo, Rinseout Conditioner, and the Styling Milk. Suave Essential Tropical Coconut also use it, and if you wanted to spend a little more, the Raw Curls line is made of it. Hydrolyzed keratin is also a small protein you could try.

4) Finally what styling products are you using. Maybe your hair just needs a bit of a boost from some leave-in conditioner and a gel. Or maybe LOC might work for you?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    So, I just did a chelating treatment and a sulfate clarify today, followed with a deep treatment with VO5 conditioner (not my usual) and I think I'm starting to see what you mean. I've been overdue for a clarifying treatment...and waaay overdue for chelating, so it's been a while since I experienced this. The soft-but-frizzy hair. Yeah, it's annoying.

You were talking about your build-up problem, and maybe you do have really difficulty to moisturizing hair (not a protein problem). I thought of this because I revisited this article on the Sciency Hair Blog: Moisturizing Low Porosity Hair. She raises the problems you have and suggests avoiding the usual cationic conditioners (BMTS, BTC, etc) in favor of film-forming humectants. She also talks about how to use leave-ins and oils differently for styling than high porosity hair types.

I think her ideas a worth a try, but personally I like those cationic conditioners - so I use them and clarify once a month (or mean to anyway). On the other hand, I naturally gravitated to many of her recommendations for years: Giovanni Magnetic was a holy grail for a long time, Giovanni Direct Leave-in still works for me, and I adored AOHR before they changed the formula.

Really the only way to figure out what your hair needs is to keep experimenting. But if it is getting really frustrating, maybe think about buying that hair analysis report that Goosefootprints sells (Goosefootprints is Wendy of the Sciency Hair Blog). It's $35, but there is a waitlist.

Disclaimer: I don't get any kickbacks or even know Wendy of the Sciency Hair Blog. I'm just a fan of her blog.  :) I have never bought the report, but plan to when my money situation improves.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You may need a deep treatment with a conditioner. I have low-po hair too, and sometimes the conditioner doesn't penetrate during the short time you're in the shower, leaving you with hair that feels dry, especially if you've used a protein-containing poo or condish.

To do a deep treatment, wash your hair as usual, and then squeeze out excess water. Work your conditioner in well (I would probably use one that has no protein) and then cover your head with a plastic cap and a towel on top of that (to hold body heat in). Let sit for 20 or so minutes, then rinse out and style as usual.

Low-po hair can often feel dry as soon as you come out of the shower because it repels water, so the water drips off rapidly, leaving you with hair that feels dry (at least on the surface). I often scrunch in handfuls of water as I style my hair so that it stays wet and clumps well. This also helps with the frizz.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file