Pyramid hair....styling or cut the issue?

lorraineg57lorraineg57 Posts: 13Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I was just considering going back to get my hair recut because I feel like she didn't cut my 2a-b layers by pulling hair straight out and cutting vertically. Although my top layer is about 6" long, I'm wondering if my bottom layers are cut at too much of a 45° angle. 
But then I'm browsing posts here and see tutorials/posts on how to style so that you don't get the Christmas tree effect.
So my question is: Is it the cut that causes the dreaded effect or the manner of styling or both?

Best Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    How did your hair look when you left the salon?  If it looked like a pyramid when you left the salon it may be the cut.  If it looked non pyramid-ish, I would guess style.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I would say it's the cut.  The styling tricks will help avoid the triangle if you're getting one, but with a good cut you won't need any special tricks.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Ditto @Guide 65. I would say it's most often caused by the cut. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I agree it is probably the cut. I definitely think you should ask your hairdresser to fix it.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Answers

• lorraineg57lorraineg57 Posts: 13Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the responses. I'll stop and see what she can do. I think she needs to eliminate the weight line?
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would just point out the problem, and let her sort out how to fix it. Unfortunately, fixing a mistake on a hair cut is harder than just getting a good haircut. It might mean dealing with something else you don't want (shorter hair, more layers, so it looks flatter overall, etc.).
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sometimes a smart stylist can fix the pyramid look by merely layering, or cutting curl by curl say the last 2/3 inches of your hair, not touching the rest.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • lorraineg57lorraineg57 Posts: 13Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the responses. When she originally cut it, she combed it straight up and straight off. I told her I needed more layers about 2/3's of the way down so she dropped the elevation some and cut off the point between the top and bottom layers. Seems to have helped. Now I'm obsessed with finding the best air drying method. 😁

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file