Modified pineapple for sleeping on long hair?

rizado&proudrizado&proud Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi!
I've been pineapple-ing for a number of years, but my hair is longer than it's been in years, so I'm having new challenges with pineapples. My hair is 3b/3c-- somewhere between the texture of BiancaRenee (@MzBiancaRenee on insta) and Rocio Isabel (@risasrizos). It falls more similarly to Rocio (down), is cut similarly, and isn't super thick.

For clarity, I DON'T pineapple using a hairtie or scrunchie-- I just turn my head upside down and use a silk or satin scarf to wrap it (from back to front) lightly and then wrap the ends around the sides of my head and tie it. I hesitate to use a hair tie since my hair gets indented/pulled straight somewhat easily.

Anyways, my hair has gotten to the point where only about half of it fits in the pineapple--it's not stiff or short enough to keep going "up," so it ends up draping over the front of my face. Since I usually sleep on my stomach (and move a lot), it's getting a little harder to manage even when I try to drape it over the pillow, and my ends (~6 inches from the end of my hair) look a little flattened when I wake up.

Any modifications to the pineapple for long-haired curlies? Any success with incorporating a bonnet in?

P.S. I have searched for forums on this already and haven't had success in terms of advice for long hair, but please feel free to leave links if you know of good videos or older forums that I missed!

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    Hi @rizado&;proud : Welcome to nc.com. Check out this thread on curltalk about Sleeping and Refreshing. real life+curly girl has a video where she shows her night-time routine where she pineapples by folding her long her over in a loose scrunchie, then uses small jaw clips to hold it in place.  (I think it is one of the videos linked in the first couple posts).

ETA: Actually here is her Pineapple video: How I pineapple my long hair

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • rizado&proudrizado&proud Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    bomega said:
    Hi @rizado&;proud : Welcome to nc.com. Check out this thread on curltalk about Sleeping and Refreshing. real life+curly girl has a video where she shows her night-time routine where she pineapples by folding her long her over in a loose scrunchie, then uses small jaw clips to hold it in place.  (I think it is one of the videos linked in the first couple posts).

Thanks a lot @bomega!  I have tried something like that with a scrunchie before, and didn't work too well-- either the pony was too tight and it pulled my hair abnormally straight on the top (my roots aren't straight as a 3b/3c) or I move too much and the loose scrunchie came out and/or the pins or clips started to hurt.
    Oh well. Seems like I have a unique dilemma of long hair and weird sleeping habits. Might have to get creative try to sewing a bonnet onto the end of the scarf to hold the end of my hair.  
    Thanks again!

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I've seen a sleep bonnet. If you can wear something like that it would be a great solution for you. A buff would work too if you could find one long enough. But also, what about just sleeping with it loose on a silk pillowcase?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • rizado&proudrizado&proud Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    bomega said:

Thanks @bomega!  I have tried something like that with a scrunchie before, and didn't work too well-- either the pony was too tight and it pulled my hair abnormally straight on the top (my roots aren't straight as a 3b/3c) or I move too much and the loose scrunchie came out and/or the pins or clips started to hurt.
    Oh well. Seems like I have a unique dilemma of long hair and weird sleeping habits. Might have to get creative try to sewing a bonnet onto the end of the scarf to hold the end of my hair.  
    Thanks again!

bomega said:

Thanks @bomega!  I have tried something like that with a scrunchie before, and didn't work too well-- either the pony was too tight and it pulled my hair abnormally straight on the top (my roots aren't straight as a 3b/3c) or I move too much and the loose scrunchie came out and/or the pins or clips started to hurt.
    Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file