3 months in and I'm still confused...please help!

Kylee0278Kylee0278 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
I believe my hair is multi-textured ranging from 2b-4a and both high and low prosisity. I had chemo treatments 5 years ago and when my hair grew back, it was alot thicker and more curly that what it used to be and I didn't know what to do with it it, so I always just pulled it back into a high pony. It wasn't until recently that I decided to try and embrace my curls and start wearing my hair down.
After discovering this site and watching about 100 you tube videos, I switched from sulfate and silicone products to deva curl products. Because my hair is very dence, thick and course, I have been using the decandance line mostly, but I just switched to the low poo because of build up. I'm struggling however to find styling product that work well for me. I've literally tried all of the deva curl products separately and mixed together, but I'm still not happy with the results. Heavier creams make my hair feel greasy and weighed down, but lighter stuff like the wave maker make my hair frizzy and dry. I haven't died or chemically treated my hair at all since it's grown back, so damage isn't an issue, but huge patches by my temples are so wirey, they don't hold any water or product at all. I'm working on trying to find a curl expert in my area for a consult, but until then any advice would be a huge help! The pictures are 1-top of my head 2-mid length 3-temple area and 4-underneath. This was after using build up buster, heaven in hair, leave in, styling cream and arch angel gel.

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    HI @Kylee0278 : Welcome to nc.com. I'm not experienced with using Devacurl products (I only had them applied in the salon). However, my first thought is are you using enough products? Or perhaps not getting enough coverage? If you think this could be a problem, to remedy this, try using more product, and applying in the shower when your hair is drenched. Although I don't always do this when I use product, this helps me get more coverage when I do it.

Hopefully someone with experience with Deva products might have some ideas. 
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Kylee0278Kylee0278 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for your reply @bomega . I use tons of product, and my wallet is feeling the pain! Lol! I'm beginning to wonder if sulfate/silicone free is right for my hair. I also believe that I'm protein sensitive. I was using coconut oil as a pre-poo but I've noticed that my hair has become more dry.
    LOL about your wallet! :D

Well, I kind of wondered about being protein sensitive. You didn't say you are low porosity, but you might be since you don't chemically treat your hair. And Devacurl products are known for having protein (not all do, but most).

I have been struggling to find styling products on the ground that don't have protein in them. What is the weather like where you live...are your dew points moderate? Do you think you can handle glycerin?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

I think I'm a mix of low and high porosity. I have sections of hair that seem like they don't absorb anything, but my hair is also frizzy and always tangled. Honestly I have no idea. I live in Ohio, bitter dry winters and humid wet summers. I haven't tried any glycerin products yet. I just ordered some Mop top curl custard to try...
    edited January 2018
    If your relative humidity drops very low (like when you have an arctic vortex) you should lay of the humectants (like glycerin). Humectants move moisture around and if you have very low dews it will pull moisture out of your hair and into the air. The Moptop Curl Custard has glycerin and sorbitol in it, so be careful. You would be fine to use it if you aren't having the extreme-type weather that day.  I think its worth a try. If it doesn't work out, just hang on to it until spring and see if it works out then.

When was the last time you did a clarify+DT. If you are suffering from protein overload, you will just have to lay off protein and wait it out to some extent. But this has a way of correcting some things. If you were interested in trying to clarify+DT, consider using Kinky Curly Come Clean + maybe Camille Rose Naturals Algae Treatment. the KCCC has clarifying agents that can remove multiple types of buildup (but not protein) and the Algae Treatment is a protein-free deep treatment. You should be able to get these are Target so it's pretty convenient.

I'm having a hard time thinking of glycerin-free protein-free shampoo/conditioner. I have never used them, but I think Curl Junkie has some (check the ingredients...not all glycerin/protein free). You will have to order online, but Curl Junkie is very popular. I've also been looking at Eco Sevi, and these are glycerin/protein free. Spendy and have to be bought online, but I think she sell travel sizes so you don't have to shell out as much.

Some of the Alaffia in my signature line are if you wanted to try them, and you might be able to find them at Whole Foods, so you can return them if you didn't like them. (The Everyday Coconut line would work, but it kind of lacks slip, so its hard to use.) I generally have been liking everything I try out of the Alaffia Reishi line, but the Shampoo/ Nourishing conditioner have glycerin. They are protein free if you wanted to try them. I think the Giovanni 50:50 shampoo/conditioner are, but I found them to be somewhat drying, but again, another one worth a try since you can get it at Whole Foods.

I have been clarifying every other week with deva curls build up buster and deep conditioning with their heaven in hair dc. 
    I'm going to look into the curl junkie line, hopefully they'll have something that will work for my muti-textured hair. 
    Another issue I've been having is my scalp. My hair line has receded with noticeable peaks and has been very itchy since I've started the no-poo..
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Do you have hard water where you live?  I don't think Build Up Buster will remove mineral deposits.  I'd suggest getting some Ion Hard Water Shampoo from Sally's, or Malibu Hard Water Shampoo (don't know where to find it in the US...I got mine from Amazon).

No-poo or co-washing doesn't work for everyone.  Or it might work better if you add in a weekly or monthly low-poo. 

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    And one more thing...I think your hair has the potential to be waaay more than type 2.  With the right treatment, you should easily get into the 3 category, probably into the upper end.  It's going to be beautiful if you stick with it!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Thanks for the reply @Guide 65 😁 I don't have hard water where I live, it is distilled city water. Today I decided to re-wash my hair using a sulfate shampoo, conditioned with deva curl decadence, then I just used a new product...SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus curl gel soufflé. I love the definition! My hair feels like it has alot more moisture, the only down side is the soufflé has left my hair a bit crunchy and sticky.  If I could find something similar without the stickness..I think I'll be ok n the right track.
  • WildberryWildberry Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 90 Curl Connoisseur
    I have that gel, and as long as I make sure to use it while my hair is dripping wet, it ends up crunchy when it's dry, which I love. The crunch is a gel seal that prevents my hair from going frizzy while drying. I gently "scrunch out the crunch" when it is completely dry, and then there's no crunchy or sticky feeling after that.
  • Pearl'sCurlsPearl'sCurls Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    I'm still finding my way too, but my hair absolutely loves the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. It is the only styling product I've been able to use with consistent success. It doesn't have protein or glycerin in it. They have it at Target for sure. Good luck!
    Sounds like you needed to clarify. Looks like you got a lot of good ideas here. I'm still figuring out products myself. Back in the day my hair liked protein, I really liked the Styling Milk. It's a leave-in, but it gave me a soft hold, clumps, no frizz. Some people use the Style Milk under the curling gel souffle.

I agree especially with what @Guide 65 said that no-poo doesn't work with everyone. You might need a low-poo on your wash day, and maybe even wash more frequently.

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If you're having problems with your hair being wiry and not holding water, I would try a deep conditioning treatment. You wash your hair as usual, squeeze out the excess water, and then work in your rinse-out conditioner (I would use one without protein). Cover with a plastic cap and then a towel on top of that, and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. Then rinse out and style as usual.

If you want a dedicated deep conditioner without protein, you could try the Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment. I use that one and find that it works well. You can also use it as a leave-in if you have coarse hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I also have section of hair that is wiry and does not hold moisture.  I know it sounds counter intuitive but it needs protein.  I go through this every few months, I think my hair needs moisture and I overdo the moisture and I have no success.  Then it's a light bulb moment protein is what I need.  For me the protein gives my hair the strength to hold the moisture.

Here is a good resource to help you determine if you need moisture or protein:

http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Somehow I missed that part about the stickiness with the curling gel souffle. Some other gels that people have success with are Ecostyler and LA Looks Sports Gel. These are both pretty inexpensive, so might be worth a try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file