Deva Cut... Your experiences...

larinnalarinna Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
I was loooking to get a hair cut since well I had no hair cut done by a stylist in a long time... Usually cut my hair, do my own dye, etc.  So, what are your experience with the Devacut?  I have thin, fine, 3a/2c curl, medium lenght hair.  I'm not sure any stylist do this around here (small town) but quite sure they do it in a bigger city not too far away.  Your suggetions and before and after pictures if you have any? 
2C-3A Fine, thin density, medium lenght, not sure about porosity
Co-washing
Was using chemical hair dye transitioning to natural hair dye
37 years young Canadian mother of 4 kids (18 yo B, 11 yo B, 9 yo B and 7 yo G)
LOVES make up, hair trend, theater and music
English is NOT my first language so I might make some mistakes...

Comments

• ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have never had a Deva cut myself, @larinna, but there is a discussion here that I personally found interesting.

https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/96403/deva-cuts-vs-ouidad-cuts/p1

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• larinnalarinna Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited January 2018
    ellaj said:
    I have never had a Deva cut myself, @larinna, but there is a discussion here that I personally found interesting.

https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/96403/deva-cuts-vs-ouidad-cuts/p1
    Thank you very much, it helped me making a choice!   ;)
    2C-3A Fine, thin density, medium lenght, not sure about porosity
    Co-washing
    Was using chemical hair dye transitioning to natural hair dye
    37 years young Canadian mother of 4 kids (18 yo B, 11 yo B, 9 yo B and 7 yo G)
    LOVES make up, hair trend, theater and music
    English is NOT my first language so I might make some mistakes...
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Last winter I had a crazy commute, and couldn't make it to my usual stylist, so I got a Deva stylist close to my office. I think I got a pretty good cut, but the cut does look better if you style it their way with their products. However, it looked ok without doing that. (I don't have any before/afters...sorry). Although I was glad to see my regular stylist when I finally could, if I had to see that Deva stylist again, I would be fine with that.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • FLsmidgetFLsmidget Posts: 30Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited January 2018
    I dont have any before picture but my profile picture is after my first ever DevaCut. I am growing out an inverted bob so I thought it was too short but she did a really good job. We have similar type hair and it really brought out my waves/curls. As my hair gets longer my curls are more pronounced. I have already scheduled my next DevaCut for April. I think you should at least try it. 
    2c fine, medium density, high porosity

Humid FL

Co Wash: Sauve Tropical Coconut Conditioner
    Conditioner: Biolage HydraSource, SM JBC0
    Deep Conditioner: SM Manuka Honey, SM JBCO
    Leave In: SM JBCO, AG Fast Food Moisture 
    Stylers: CK, Deva Arc Angel, Eden Coconut Defining Cream, Cantu Curl Activator

@FSmidget I see that we have the same hair stats and I also see that you are almost ready to embrace the gray. We have a lot it common hair wise, so I am really interested in hearing more about your Deva cut. 

• FLsmidgetFLsmidget Posts: 30Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited January 2018
    @ellaj we do have a lot in common, i read in another thread that you get your hair caught in your glasses. I catch mine all the time. Lol

I got my first devacut in dec. The stylist evened out the length of the angled bob and cut some "curly" layers to enhance my wave patteren. The picture in my profile is after the devacut.  The stylist was very patient and answered a lot of questions and explained some of the things I was doing wrong. I highly recommend a devacut they are pretty pricey depending where you go but my hair look good imho.

Eta: I also take biotin supplements to help my hair grow and regrain some strength. I have been coloring it and abusing it for years. I seem to notice a difference with the biotin but im diabetic amd biotin deficient.

Humid FL

Oh yes, my glasses have the type of hinge that can cut clear through a couple of hairs if I am not careful. I think this is key, it almost never happens when I actually slow down and remove my glasses carefully. It is something that I am trying to be diligent about, I do not need to be adding in my own face framing layers, lol.

I have been reading all that I can about the Deva cut method. On December 11th I had my stylist blend in some layers, she dusted the length also. It looks pretty decent most days and I do like it, especially now that it has grown a bit. 

For some reason I have it in my head that with my hair type the Deva method would not work. It is encouraging to hear your take on it. I have access to a salon that does the cut, maybe I should take the first step and at least go in for a consultation.

Do you have a time frame in mind for giving up the hair dye? 

Lol on the self face framing trim ala glasses method. 
    I was also convinced that the DevaCut would not be for my hair type or length. My DH treated me as a xmas/bday gift cause I talked about it a few times and couldnt decide if the devacut would work. So he basically helped make the decision easier for me. When I went in for the cut my hair was very limp, stringy, and frizzy. The picture on my profile was actually taken at the salon by my stylist when she was done.

I am going to color my hair one last time next weekend back to my natural dark brown hair color and then thats it. Going to start embracing the greys that are starting to appear. Im 45, dont have may yet but they ARE there. Lol

Hope all the info helps. Im trying to learn to embrace my natural waves/curls instead of fighting them. Want to something less to worry about in this Florida humidity that is just around the corner. 

Now if someone could create some humidity proof clothing that would be awesome.  😃

Humid FL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file